Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

To New Eggheads: Gasket

Options
Pork Butt Mike
Pork Butt Mike Posts: 2,584
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Congratulations on your new purchase on your New Egg. I been reading a lot of post on how the gaskets been melting. I am not sure if it's the glue being used in the new eggs today, or just what your are doing to make it melt, but I recommend that when you get your egg and even before you get it please read these forum top to bottom.

There is a lot of experts here that give out great advice on how to use your egg and break in period. This is very important. Now as a three egg person I myself for at least the first 12 cooks I do not bring up the temp above 400 degrees or so and watch very close that the fire does not go near the gasket.

Remember take your time and watch what is happening and enjoy your Egg. You will have great cooks and your family and friends will think your the greatest. If your not sure search the forums and ask questions.

Good luck and enjoy.

Comments

• Woody69
    Woody69 Posts: 360
    Options
    Good advice, but if a lot of the gasket failures were like mine, no amount of "break in" or slow cooks would help. The adhesive did not, and would not hold no matter what....there was/is something wrong with it.
    Don't let it get you down though, newbies. Once you get past this issue, you will love your egg !!
  • danny285
    danny285 Posts: 360
    Options
    Why does something that is so expensive have so many problems with the gasket?????? One would think that the mfg would take care of this issue.
  • Klag
    Klag Posts: 208
    Options
    I think it's just terrible that when someone spends $1000+ on a grill that they have to spend more time and effort reading an entire forum top to bottom, make phone calls to the dealer/mothership and wait for a new gasket.

The manufacturer is obviously aware of this problem and IMO they should fix the dam eggs BEFORE THEY SELL THEM. Replace the adhesive they already know is trash.

I could understand all these issues on a $50 Weber, but a piece of cooking equipment this expensive should come in top shape.

If there is anything I've learned from this forum lately, it's to buy a different ceramic smoker and wait for BGE to get their gasket issues sorted out. I have a medium Egg about 8 years old and never had a gasket problem. I'm ready to upgrade to a new larger Egg and but I'm afraid to buy a large BGE and am looking to a different company.
  • Golfnut
    Golfnut Posts: 144
    Options
    Here we go.... :blink:
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    im not sure what the story really is with the gasket, but i think its more of how we are using are eggs now as opposed to how we used them 8 years ago. ive got 2 newer eggs that should have had the gasket problems of melting, but i use those more similar to how i did back in the older days. im almost thinking maybe the platesetter is causing problems with new gaskets, back then i dont remember people using platesetters all the time, we used bricks and pans, a pizza stone etc, but not everyone jumped right in with platesetters. my gaskets all went the black crumbly route and my one egg i abuse with killer high temps i just removed the gasket all together. i run that egg so hot that the springs lose temper so gaskets for it arent much an option.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Mike in Abita
    Options
    Big Green Egg, I'm certian, is aware of the problem and is making adjustments as necessary. Kinda hard to subject every egg to testing before selling.

Customer service for this company exceeds most other companies I've delt with.

If you have a problem with the gasket, follow the chain, from dealer, to distributor, to BGE head quarters. Somewhere along the way you'll get satisfaction.

It's one weak link in an otherwise excellent cooker. Don't let these FEW gasket problems stop you from getting or even cooking on an EGG without a gasket
  • Weekend Warrior
    Options
    The gasket adhesive issue has been resolved, unfortunately there are still Eggs out there that were shipped to the distributors and dealers that have the defective adhesive. It may be awhile before all of those Eggs are sold and this problem eventually goes away. Mark
  • BoneDaddy's
    Options
    Well let me ask you this, if BMW had an issue with a door gasket and it caused water to leak in wouldn't they offer a recall to fix it. I doubt they would simply fix it and wait for all their cars to "die" as a fix for the problem.

A large part of the gasket issue is the companies lack of communication with its enduser. They should recall the item and fix the problem. They have been great sending me a nomex, but why did I have to search that out. They should be proactive, not reactive. There are a few competators out there that may take away market share if you read some other boards.
    Bone Daddy's Competition BBQ & Catering
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    The reason the gasket came off on my brand new mini was the fact that it was put on with double stick tape - DOUBLE STICK TAPE!!! It started falling off on the first cook of 350 degrees. I glued a new one on with the 3M 77 and have yet to tell if it will withstand the temperatures, but anything has got to be a better adhesive than what the mini came with!

Still, I didn't complain about it, just called the dealer, got a new gasket for free, and glued it on. No Biggie.

By the way, the gasket on my 12 year old LBGE is intact!

Faith
    Tampa, FL
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Weekend Warrior
    Options
    You are right and I can't argue with you. BGE handled the situation badly(and they know it). Many of BGE's dealers are clueless and there seems to be a disconnect between BGE and the dealers. My dealer does not carry ANY accessories, and when they need something, they call their distributor not BGE. I'm convinced that I have spoken to the powers-that-be at BGE more often than my dealer has. It appears to be a really weak supply chain particularly as it relates to dealer and customer support. I think they need to be more careful(particular)about who eventually ends up selling their products and provide more timely and effective support to those who do.

I lost the gasket on my newest LBGE in May 2008 on the 3 or 4th cook. I lost the replacement gasket(nomex with adhesive) immediately after replacing the first gasket. To say I was frustrated would be an understatement, but I stuck with it and applied the gasket again with the 3M 77 because I love the EGG.

Like I said, hopefully this problem goes away soon.

Mark
  • jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    Options
    Weekend Warrior wrote:
    The gasket adhesive issue has been resolved, unfortunately there are still Eggs out there that were shipped to the distributors and dealers that have the defective adhesive. It may be awhile before all of those Eggs are sold and this problem eventually goes away. Mark

If Nomex/Super 77 is truly "the" answer, why doesn't BGE send gaskets and glue to every dealer to fix the Eggs that are awaiting delivery? That has to be less expensive than the negative buzz they're getting right now. Yes, I know that's a lot of gaskets....it's a lot of negativity, too.
  • Duck
    Duck Posts: 9
    Options
    Do most eggs come with an extra gasket? I have had my egg for about 2 weeks and it came with an extra gasket.
  • safetyman
    Options
    My gasket came off after a dozen cooks. It came off as clean as could be, the gasket separated from the glue. There were no burn marks at all on the gasket. I called the 'Mothership' and they sent me a Nomex unglued gasket, as requested, free of charge. Personally I don't have any issue with the problem. A few minor issues I can put up with as long as the food keeps coming out as great as it has been. I will put the 'new' gasket on as soon as the weather gets above freezing.
  • Weekend Warrior
    Options
    I'm sorry, but I can't answer your question. I don't work for them, but I have talked to them regarding the gasket issues and design changes; information they keep very close the the vest btw. Please call BGE directly if it will make you feel better. I'm sure they will explain their position on the subject. Mark
  • Inksmyth
    Inksmyth Posts: 308
    Options
    I agree with you 100%. BGE should have been on top of this and actively provided a fix to dealers and at least a mailing to effected new owners. I purchased my egg before I knew about the gasket issues. If I had known how it was being handled It wold have influenced my purchase. I tried repeatedly to get a new gasket from 2 local dealers. Besides wanting to charge me, they were never able to get the gasket. Wrong size, out of stock etc.
    I replace with a ceramic gasket and am happy.