Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Food processor vs stand mixer ?

JimS
JimS Posts: 78
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Need to know if a food processor will mix bread dough as I see some come with a dough blade or do I need to go with a stand mixer? I do not plan on making a huge amount of bread but I don't want to waste my money on something that won't do the job. Thanks

Comments

• I have a large Kitchen Aid mixer but prefer to knead the dough by hand ... very theraputic! (spelling police?)
  • My vote would be the Kitchen aid Pro tilt mixer with bread hook. It is very effient and you can make a large amount of bread in a short time. As far as hand kneeding, it's fine for a small batch but becomes a lot of work very quickly with anything more than a loaf or two.
    FireWalker
  • PWise
    PWise Posts: 1,173
    I have a kitchen aid artisan stand mixer and a kitchen aid food processor, I have always used the mixer with the hook attachment at no more than speed 2 for bread dough, I wouldn't use the processor since it has only one speed and it goes pretty fast, I can't imagine it trying to go through a yeast-based bread dough at those speeds. Even if it were capable you would probably break down the gluten in the flour and depending on the bread, might or not be good...

cheers,
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    That dough blade on the food processor does a great job of chopping cabbage for slaw.. :)

Get the mixer
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    I agree, get the mixer.

Even if the food processor could make good dough (highly unlikely), most food processors are pretty small.

Barry
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • JimS
    JimS Posts: 78
    ok guys, based on your advice,I will go w/stand mixer. Thanks
  • A food processor will mix bread dough, but mostly one loaf's worth. The stand mixer does (if you get the bigger one) 2 loaves. I decided to go for a Kitchenaid and not have a fp--I use knives, a stick blender and just do without a food processor in exchange for the biggest baddest Kitchenaid. No regrets. You can find the KA at a pretty decent price if you hunt around, one here, the larger, at $199 but they are usually more

$199 KA If that one is not available, this one is reasonable
    $229 KA
  • There is not much difference between them i used both currently i am using food processor but i know what is the actually difference and as per my need i had to switch from blender to food processor and i wont say blenders are bad they are also good if you have that need and requirement. I actually do not want more fluid-like outcome so i prefer food processor but of the people do want this so blender is perfect for them. I would advice others to look at a few but actual differences at more indepth insights here in this wonderful guide https://www.foodprocessorsreview.com/food-processor-vs-blender/ These guys also mentioned which foods are best for blenders and food processors. A good learning for me.
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    I have never seen a food processor that spins slow enough for kneading. 
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,597
    OvenJames said:
    There is not much difference between them i used both currently i am using food processor but i know what is the actually difference and as per my need i had to switch from blender to food processor and i wont say blenders are bad they are also good if you have that need and requirement. I actually do not want more fluid-like outcome so i prefer food processor but of the people do want this so blender is perfect for them. I would advice others to look at a few but actual differences at more indepth insights here in this wonderful guide https://www.foodprocessorsreview.com/food-processor-vs-blender/ These guys also mentioned which foods are best for blenders and food processors. A good learning for me.
     Well there you have it. It’s been ten years but I’m sure this should clear up lingering doubts.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831

LOL, I need to pay more attention. S'pose the OP figured it out yet?

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited April 2020
    Shiff said:
    I agree, get the mixer.

Even if the food processor could make good dough (highly unlikely), most food processors are pretty small.

I'd like to clear up some misinformation there seems to be about food processors. Both Cook's Illustrated and Serious Eats tend to favor Food Processors for pizza dough over stand mixers. A food processor will knead the dough in ~30 seconds vs 10 minutes of a stand mixer. They also claim you get better flavor with a faster mechanical knead b/c of less oxidization. I don't know how true that is, but I always reach for the food processor for pizza. I use my stand mixer for bread dough b/c I'm typically working with >=500 grams of bread flour. The obvious answer is to get both :)  

South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    godd*mnit
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Zombie thread, but I'll throw my 2 bits in...

If you bake a fair bit (cakes, bread, etc.) then a stand mixer may be the right choice. If not, then a food processor will likely be more versatile in the kitchen, and it can mix up some dough every now and then. 

Each has its place in the kitchen, but if you have to get only one, it really depends on what it would be used for, e.g. its hard to use the KA for mixing up marinades and such. 

Re: difference in  pizza flavor because of more vs. lesser oxidation, I can guarantee that any "celebrated" pizzeria is not mixing their dough in a food pro. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.