Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How to cook

EGGLANDS BEST
EGGLANDS BEST Posts: 211
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello all,
i got 5 venison patties from my co-worker and wanted to know how to prepare and cook them on the egg?? i've never cooked or eaten any these before thanks

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    hot, fast, rare, salt, pepper....
    ;)
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Stike,

I can do Hot, Fast, Salt, & Pepper but i can't do Rare :sick: :laugh: medium well maybe but not rare thanks
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,659
    did he add fat to the patties, some use fatty hamburger, ground pork butt, or even bacon so they dont dry out when over cooking.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • It's always best to cook GROUND wild game to medium well anyway (no pink). Just be prepared to swallow hard unless the venison was mixed with beef or pork.
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    I would cook them at 375 direct as you would a regular burger or indirect if you prefer till the internal temperature is between 130/135 for rare and 135/140 medium rare,140/145 for medium well.You have to be very careful not to overcook this or the flavor is lost and the meat tends to be dry.I prefer medium rare. Temperature is the main issue here and do not over cook.
  • stike
    well.... venison doesn't have a lot of room after you go past medium.

you gotta try notching down, medium at least.
    past medium is overcooked.
  • stike, if you saw how and where deer were processed in PA, you probably wouldn't even eat it well done let alone rare. Trust me on this one. I started doing my own after I couldn't make myself eat venison that I took to the local processors. Blood, deer hair and dirt on everything and every one of the workers. Deer laying in huge piles 2 and 3 deep outside on the gravel parking lot in 50 and 60 degree weather for days until they caught up. It's mass production processing at it's worst and with no controls because the meat is "Not for sale". Mark
  • stike
    you make a good point.