Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Last Night's Pizza and Bread

Options
mkc
mkc Posts: 544
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Pizza Friday as always for us, with a neat residual heat artisan bread

Pizza Ingredients

pizza%20ingredients.jpg

Skin dressed with garlic/herb oil and sauce, on the cookie sheet I use as a peel

pizza%20dress.jpg

Pizza done

pizza%20done.jpg

Made a ring of artisan dough, let it rise on semolina-coated parchment, dust heavily with flour

bread%20flour.jpg

Cut the wreath petals and pull outwards

bread%20cut.jpg

Ready to bake

bread%20wreath.jpg

After 30 minutes of residual pizza heat

bread%20done.jpg

Pizza was baked at 475F. I form the skin on my silicone pizza mat (dusted with semolina) which is exactly the diameter of the Egg pizza stone and start the bake on that. After a couple of minutes I slide the cookie sheet peel between the pizza and the mat and pull the mat out with tongs so the pizza does most of the baking directly on the stone.

Bread went on and we closed down the Egg. It was 375 when I pulled the loaf 30 minutes later.

I will say that the bread directions are for 450 for 30 minutes, so using residual heat doesn't get it as golden brown, but it still works great as the finished internal temperature is above 190F. I did cut the parchment before baking so it was just bigger than the wreath and wouldn't extend past the edges of the pizza stone, but left the parchment for the entire bake (didn't want to create a sudden Egg temperature drop by opening it).

Michelle
Egging in Crossville, TN

Comments

• Boatman
    Boatman Posts: 854
    Options
    Wow, I really like the bread! Some people have such great imaginations B) I will try that technique next time I make bread....thanks B)
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    one word WOW

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Poodlemom
    Options
    Michelle, that is truely a work of art. Almost to pretty to eat!!
  • mkc
    mkc Posts: 544
    Options
    I can't take credit for the bread idea, it came from www.artisanbreadinfive.com

You use the same technique, but alternate the leaf directions, starting with something baguette-shaped to make a pain d'epi.

I think it's a neat way to make dinner rolls for a festive occasion (or when you want to impress your friends :) ) Just pass the wreath around and everyone gets to pull off a little roll.
    Egging in Crossville, TN