Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stabile Temp.

Options
Inksmyth
Inksmyth Posts: 308
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
How long should a temp be held before it is considered stabile? 15 mins, 1/2 hour?

Comments

• Inksmyth
    Inksmyth Posts: 308
    Options
    Also. How many degrees of variation?
  • Cory430
    Cory430 Posts: 1,073
    Options
    Bout a 1/2 hour is what I typically go with if I have the time.

Once stabil, there is virtually no variation in temps until much later in the cook and the smaller pieces of lump and ash start to clog the air holes in the charcoal grate. This is easily remedied with a bent coat hanger or similar tool.

Of course opening the dome and putting in a big hunk of meat lowers the temp for a bit. But once your fire is set, the temps will come back to where you wanted in a bit. Just don't get to changing your vent settings or you'll end up chasing your temps all night.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    no variation is what makes it stable for me. ten minutes is ok by me.

and opening the egg, or adding food will cause a temporary drop in the reading on the thermometer (not an actual change in the fire). so i do NOT adjust the vents after opening or adding meat (unless the daisy has accidentally moved or something)
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    :S how do you keep the daisy and middle ring from moving during opening the lid??? Have tried a few positions of setting iron cap, but always (in this great 2 weeks of eggin) have to re-do :side: thanks
  • Old Salt
    Old Salt Posts: 357
    Options
    Have the screw on the daisy facing the dome handle.
  • TXTriker
    TXTriker Posts: 1,177
    Options
    With the daisy wheel as Vern suggests, with a little cooking build up on the daisy wheel, there will be little to no movement unless you are really rough with the dome when you open and close it.
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options