Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Burning up all my charcoal

Bricktucky
Bricktucky Posts: 83
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Merry Christmas all! My wife requested pulled pork for Christmas Eve dinner with her family so I am happily obliging. However, I only have access to Cowboy charcoal right now. Fine for grilling, but seems to burn a bit fast or low and slow. I have filled my large to the top of the fire ring and am wondering what should I do if it burns up before the buts are done? Has anyone had to add more charcoal in the middle of a cook? Any advise beyond take the meat, grid and plate setter out, add more, get to temp and put it all back in?

Thanks alot

David

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Normally you don't need to refill, but if you do, just pull everything off and set it somewhere, add your charcoal, and put it back together. No worries about taking the meat off the cooker for a few minutes. If it's cold, wrap the meat in foil for a few minutes til you are ready. You won't miss a beat.

Merry Christmas.
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • ChefRD
    ChefRD Posts: 438
    I have used lots of Cowboy here over the last umpteen years and if I fill the firebox up to almost the top of the fire ring, I have never ran out of lump even after 26 hours. (Low and slow ~ 230-250)
    I see no problem for you.
    HTH,
    Ron.
  • ChefRD
    Howdy Chris!
    Merry Christmas dude!! I hope you and the family have a great time this year and I wish your whole family the best, especially the twins.
    Later mang,
    Ron.
  • Wow, never come close to 26 hours. Longest cook was 18 using Royal Oak and I had plenty left over. The only other time I used Cowboy for a low and slow, I came pretty close to running out and one of the butts is about 2 pounds heavier.
    Thanks, surely if you can get 26 hours, my 9 3/4 lb butt should be able to cook no prob.
  • Thanks Nature Boy, I've never had to refill before, but came close the only other time I used Cowboy for a low and slow. One of these butts is 2 ls heavier than the one I used back then. Of course that was one of my first butts so who knows, maybe I did something to use too much charcoal.
    I appreciate the tips, hope I don't have to, but I'd rather have a plan to act on than run around like a loon in case it does happen.

Have a Merry. ..
  • Nature Boy
    Same to you and Wanda buddy!!
    The twins are a heartbeat away from high school. Can you believe it??

Hey, we will be coming out to AZ again in February. And this time we are allowing an extra day to play. Email me when you get a chance. BTW, if you have the cox.net address, it's the same thing but now verizon.net.
    Beers!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    Any time Brick. I used to run around like a loon too until I realized there aint no rush when it comes to meat that cooks 12 hours or more. Take it off, do your thang, then resume.

Happy cookin bro!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Good point. Very good point.

Thanks for the words of wisdom.
  • ChefRD
    Hey!
    I'll be there buddy!
    You just let me know when you are there, I can make it! or you can come stay with us?
    Looking forward to it man,
    Can't wait to be there, it sure sucks here :( constant snow and cold. One of the snowiest Decembers ever, if not an absolute record,(depends upon which channel you watch). BRRRR
    9 more days, and we are leaving :)
    later mang,
    Ron
  • ChefRD
    Thats what I'm thinking, :)
    good luck with it, but i would not be too concerned.
    later,
    Ron.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    never had an issue with cowboy.... it's absolutely fine for low and slow cooks
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • if you get to within a couple of hours of being done then just pull it and throw in the oven to finish. no harm no foul. it won't gain any more smoke after the first couple of hours anyway.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,739
    after that many hours in the egg, just wrap it in foil and finish it in the oven, nobodys going to know the difference except you
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Same here, however, it is less dense than most charcoal and you can have a bit of trouble getting enough charcoal into the cooker to last. I remember the very first time I did some comparison burns between WGC Competition Blend, Royal Oak and Cowboy. I just innocently picked a certain weight, weighed out that much WGC, put it in my small and burned it. I then weighed out the same amount of RO and burned it. I then weighted out the same amount of Cowboy and ooops, it won't fit in the cooker, LOL!
    The Naked Whiz
  • your link led me 2 Ceramic Grill Store--awesome :woohoo:
    been wonderin' bout the spider and other rigs :blink:
    you gentlemen are always so helpful ;)