Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st Christmas turkey thread...help

Options
mukl
mukl Posts: 66
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So many turkey threads to search...I'm getting dizzy.

Here are my questions:

Does the size of the roasting pan make a difference?

V-Rack or a rack where sitting lower in the pan?

I see Mad Max' pan is really tight and tall. I see Uncle Phil uses disposable aluminum that is also high and tight.

I've only been able to find a standard roasting pan with a V-Rack. It is 16" long and about 3 inches deep.

Any foreseeable problems with that? The wine, shouldn't run over.

Just want to make sure I get out today to do any last minute emergency shopping.

Thanks in advance and Merry Christmas!

:)M

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    You need to relax.

The pan you got is fine if it fits in the egg. Just put the pan in the egg and see if it fits. If not get a smaller one.

VRack or flat rack don't matter as long as the turkey is up out of the drippings.

Now take a deep breath...
  • mukl
    mukl Posts: 66
    Options
    Relax...dude, pressure is on! I am the only turkey for the big day :)

You should see me when I'm stressed...

We've been stuck in the greatest snow storm ever up here, so people are acting a little crazy. Actually, I haven't been stuck, but a lot of stores have been closed because people can't get around.

Thanks again!
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    All the more reason to take a deep breath and relax.

Least you have the ability to cook. Many people don't
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Like CW always says... take a deep breath (or three).

Any cook on the egg isn't hard and there are no steadfast rules.

If you are using a plate setter or pizza stone, put a stable spacer under the pan. You want some air flow. If using an aluminum toss away pan put a grid on top of the spacer then the 'weak' the pan. Any rack will do, 'V' rack is fine.

Use Mad Max's steps. They work. If you want modify the rub and drippings. But basting sure makes a nice skin and great gravy.

Cooking in the freezing cold is just more fun & keep the cook warm.

Post some pictures of your cook and Merry Christmas.

GG
  • 1/2 Chicken
    Options
    I did a Mad Max turkey for Thanksgiving. This may sound like a crazy one but make sure your lid opens the night before. I nuked my gasket the day prior and didn’t know it. Went out Thursday am to fire it up and it wouldn’t budge open. It took me a forum search and and a hour with a chimney full of lump through the top to get it to release. The good new was I had an instant fire and a warm egg. Then in my rush I threw my prepped bird in on a foil pan right on the plate setter. No rack and no air space provide (honestly I didn’t even realize it until reading this thread). I sat back and let go at about 320*. I came out gorgeous and tasted even better.