Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What size Tutrkey can I fit on a LGBE?

Blazer
Blazer Posts: 47
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I want to cook my first Turkey on my Large BGE placing it directly on the grate... no roasting pan. I will use the plate setter (legs up) with a drip pan on it, then the grate on top of that. With this setup, what do you suppose is the largest turkey I can cook without the bird hitting the dome or the thermometer? Also with this setup, should I use the regular grate or the cast iron one? Thanks...

Comments

• Rick G
    Rick G Posts: 185
    With the set up you are describing...not a big one. I cooked a 21# turkey for T-giving in a roasting pan on a plate setter (legs up) and it just barely cleared the dome. If you put the grate on I would think that would significantly raise the bird thus reducing the size of the bird. Just my opinion, I'm sure other eggsperts will have more data for you.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    If your using the setup you described spatchcock'ed would be your best bet
  • thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    Here is a 14 pound on plate setter and no grid in drip pan...it was just about the limit...but cooked perfectly ON A V RACK however. I placed a pizza pan on the platsetter to get the heat away from the drip pan so the juices wouldn't scorch...and easy to get to for basting by the way.
    DSC00529.jpg
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    Not sure why you want to use the plate setter, but without using one I've egged a 24.5 pounder using a roasting pan with v-rack. Just be sure to remove the thermometer clip so you can close the dome and then insert the thermometer - otherwise you will probably impale the breast.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • I agree with the others. Why use the grate?

Last Saturday at a friend's house, he placed a roasting pan on top of fire bricks on top of the grate in his LBGE. We smoked a 28 lb. Butterball turkey and fed ~20 adults and 12 kids. I didn't even know turkeys grew that big, and I expected a tough old bird, but it was delicious. Had to remove the thermometer from the dome and stick it in the daisy-wheel to get everything to fit.

The 28lb. bird went on at 10:30 am and finished at 4:00 pm. Temp was around 325.

He told his wife to buy a 20 lb. turkey. She said there was nothing in between 14 lbs and 28 lbs, so she bought the big 'un.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    If this is your first bird on the eggs I suggest you do follow the instructions found at the following link.

Mad Max Turkey

No grate involved at all, but it does use a roasting pan.
  • Max is the king of turkey! Icing the breast is a very clever technique. You should do that no matter how you plan to cook it.
  • Rollocks
    Rollocks Posts: 570
    I used the frozen lemons on the breast for my last turkey. Turned out great.
  • Blazer
    Blazer Posts: 47
    Original poster here... I wanted to try cooking the bird on the grid because I have 2 roasting pans but both have handles that make them too large(long) for the egg. I just bought one of those disposable aluminum roasting pans and can use that but need a way to elevate it off the inverted plate setter. I have the 3 BGE feet but the bottom of those disposable pans is pretty flimsy.

How about a turkey sitter?
  • Using the PS on a large BGE I have cooked a 22 lb bird stuffed. I put about 3/4" of water in a 9" X 13" pan along with celery, onions, salt, pepper & the neck & giblets on the inverted PS, then the grate & then the bird. When the bird is pulled (not to exceed 160 internal) I use the "broth" & giblets to make an unbelievable gravy. I have not cooked a bird inside since the first time I used the BGE 6 years ago.
    Good luck, Bart
  • I recommend the Mad Max method. I place the bird on an inverted cake pan inside the aluminum pan on the egg feet. This setup is on the place setter. Works great.
  • My first cook on my NEW Lg. BGE was a huge turkey! If memory serves it was a 22 pounder. I did it with the plate setter, drip pan and the grid. It was a tight fit, but it fit!
    I do have my thermometer (in the dome) spaced with a wine cork so that it just protrudes inside and that is a major factor to consider with a big bird or anything cooked high in the dome.