Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Flavor Help

Options
MikeTek
MikeTek Posts: 39
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey all, I was hoping that I could pick a brains a little.
About a month ago, I smoked my first brisket in my egg. It was a 6 lb Choice flat, I rubbed with Dizzy's Cow Lick and let it sit overnight in the fridge. I covered it with some thick sliced bacon the next morning and put it in the egg with a few chunks of hickory and apple. I used an adjustable rig and put a little apple juice in the drip tray. I wrapped it at 165 and pulled it off the grill at 195. It was tender and juicy, but it just didn't have much flavor to speak of. It also didn't have any noticeable bark or smoke ring. I don't know if I didn't put enough rub on it or what it could have been. While this is the first brisket that I've ever prepared, I've been an expert at eating brisket for a while :) The brisket that I get from the local BBQ joints usually have a consistent flavor all the way the cuts, mine just had a little bit of taste on the edges.

Any suggestions or tips on making it more "flavorful", would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Mike

Comments

• Crimsongator
    Options
    The foil probably affected your bark. I usually do not foil a brisket until it is done and I want it to rest. As for flavor. Other than a heavy coat of rub, you can also inject briskets.

You can search online for brisket injections. Dr. BBQ has a good one in his Big time BBQ book. There is also a good one from Big Bob Gibson's BBQ. Do a little searching and give it a try.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Here is a popular way.

Beef, Brisket, Sugar Coated, Uncle Dave

Five hours total cook time and you can cut this with a plastic fork! Served 8 for lunch today and they just couldn't believe it. It was the finest brisket anyone would want.

Ingredients:
    3-5 lb Brisket
    1/4 cup favorite rub
    2 cups white sugar
    1 can beer
    1 onion

Directions:
    1 Coat Brisket with rub of choice over night.
    2 Next morning, pour 2 cups of white sugar over brisket. Hard to do but trust me. That night all sugar will have disappeared.
    3 Put on BGE Fat down 250 one hour.
    4 Then put in a v rack in drip pan, 1 hour more 250.
    5 Take brisket off and set it on a double sheet of foil. Form the edges into a crude bowl.
    6 Pour 2/3 of a beer on meat
    7 Slice an onion and throw it on too.
    8 Close top up with a third piece of foil.
    9 Return to grill for 3 hours at 200.

Servings: 1

Recipe Type
    Beef, Main Dish

Recipe Source
    Author: Uncle Dave

Source: BGE Forum, Uncle Dave
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    Yo Richard, this will do great flavor. How about bark?
  • MikeTek
    Options
    Thanks for the reply, I'll have to leave the foil off when I try one again next week.

How heavy should the rub be? I must've not had enough on last time, I sprinkled some on and gave it good rub, but it was pretty sparse.
  • MikeTek
    Options
    That sounds interesting, what purpose does the white sugar serve? Flavor? Bark texture?

Thanks again.

Mike
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    How heavy the rub is a personal preference. However, it should cover the brisket.

As for flavor you can try injecting it. I usually Marinade mine in a mixture of Balsamic Vinegar, Worcestershire Sauce, Soy Sauce and Beer.
  • Tuck
    Tuck Posts: 54
    Options
    I'm usually very generous with my rub and my bark usually turns out pretty good.

P2100734.JPG