Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Weed burner

Options
belle's dad
belle's dad Posts: 146
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I read on the forum that many of you use a weed burner to start your fires. What is a weed burner? I am probably using one, (Benzomatic Torch), but, I sure would like to know what you'll are referring too.

Gordon
Vero Beach, FL

Comments

• "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    Hey Gordon,it is a propane torch that is designed to burn weeds in flower beds and driveway cracks.You can get one at Home Depot or Lowes.You can also hook it to a smaller bottle,but I use a 20#(grill)tank ;)

019-16.jpg
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Here is the weed burner. Can get to TRex temps in minutes. When you use the turbo trigger it sounds like the shuttle going off. It hooks the the standard 20# LP bottles.

100_1570.jpg
  • Boss Hogg
    Boss Hogg Posts: 1,377
    Options
    Harbor freight has them. just search under "weed burner". About $20.00

Brian
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Thats where I got mine. $26 with button start and turbo trigger.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    It goes a little something like this:

Step One:

BurnerSmall.jpg

Step Two:

BurnerONSmall.jpg

Step Three:

FireFire1.jpg

FireFire2.jpg
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    You're right Brian :cheer: I couldn't remember where mine came from,but that's it :blush: They are definitely cheaper at Harbor Freight ;)
  • Boxerpapa
    Options
    ...but if you indeed use one, please use safety glasses or goggles. In only takes one spark into your eyes to do some serious damage.
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    Yeah we have one of those :( and Neil is not allowed to touch it. we got it at Harbor freight on the drive to Fl last year. we get down there and no rain in HOW LONG??? can you say DRY and he lights that blasted thing up and is in a fit of giggles in seconds. :evil: I have NEVER heard this man giggle in the 28 years I have been married to him. and all it took was a roaring torch. go figure :unsure:
  • belle's dad
    Options
    damn - that thing look like it would start a major fire in seconds. I'll have look for one.

Thank's for the response. Now I know.

Gordon
    Vero Beach, FL
  • Mainegg
    Options
    yeah with the turbo button, he had to have that. my paper towels with vegi oil work just fine thank you and I have time for an extra glass of wine.
  • Boss Hogg
    Boss Hogg Posts: 1,377
    Options
    It kinda makes my post about where to buy one a little boring :S

I'm asking for one of those for Christmas just so I can run with the "Big Dogs" from down south :laugh:

Brian in PA
  • TomM24
    TomM24 Posts: 1,366
    Options
    I went to use mine tonight and there was a Keeshond canine size hole in the hose. Who me... I didn't put that hole there. I just licked the meat juice of it.

Lila-1.jpg
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    I don't have one - nor need one as I'm a retired dude, so instant lighting isn't important to me. What I want to suggest here is the safety issue using one. One Canadian egger named Cory (aka Ottawa Egger) bought one of those and ignited a serious hole in their long landscaping hedge row. Like anything - just be careful with your toys until you realize their power!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Two things, I found myself giggling at you telling us you have not seen him do that in 28 years. All I can tell you is it's a guy thing, the sound of the roar is a thing of power. Like a hot rod with open headers at the track or being in a plane going down the runway.

Hell, if I could go from AZ to Fl in a plane and never leave the ground I would be in 7th heaven. :laugh:

Paper towel and vegie oil give you time for an extra glass of wine. I like that. :woohoo:

Cheers & Wine to ya,
    Bordello
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Options
    Well -- I have a lotta weeds... so I got me a weed burner, with a big tank t'haul after'n it.

I got out there, among the six-foot-high weeds [I kid thee not!], and started 'er up. Nice l'il toy.

I pulled back on the throttle, and W-H-O-A! Ho, Baby! Them weeds don't have no chance... and my house doesn't stand a chance with the wind coming up.

Shut down the weed burner and went runnin' fer th' garden hose. Got ever-thang ready t'go ag'in.

Fired 'er up, and let the throttle rip! Agi'n -- W-H-O-A!

Opened up the twistie-twistie knobbie on 'er.... rrrrr-oooo-aaa-rrrrrr! Yey-Yuh! :woohoo:

Then, with the twistie-twisties open, haled back on thet throttle button an' I was ready for WWIII.

D O U B L E --- R O A R !

Now, I stash m'weed burner right next'r m'Big Green Egg! B)

Toss in them lumpie thangs.
    Click! says the Weed Burner. :whistle:

Rrrrroooooaaaaarrrrrrrr! :evil:

In the time I used-ta spend looking fer the olive owl an-a match, I have my lump twenty minutes down-the-road.

Anyone who tries t'steal m'Baby's gonna git fried! :angry:

Y'Hear!

But.... Yes...
    Ya gotta think 'bout safety --
    An ya better give some goggles some attention. :)
    An' don' go turnin' thet thang up t'ROAR wit-cher hair flying out, all over. :ohmy:

And don't - don't - don't do sumpin stoopid, like touchin' the metal end-a the thang jis after ya stop the flame, less ya like to get to know yer reconstructive sergeon real nice-like.
  • Mainegg
    Options
    Oh Tom what a face! how could you ever get upset with that :)
    and Bordello he giggled when his truck started last week! and with no exhaust on it yet and that motor it roared!
  • Stoneseller
    Options
    Beautiful face on your Kees Tom
    Our girl Kiki is almost identical, but she lacks the little bit of tan color around the eyes.
    Truly a wonderful breed. We are close to ready to look for another.
    David in MD
  • TomM24
    TomM24 Posts: 1,366
    Options
    She our second Kees. They are great dogs.

She is big at 55 lbs. Her mother was only 35. She's a little fat but not too bad.