Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

MAPP the way!

Options
BigGreenTree
BigGreenTree Posts: 41
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Picked up a MAPP kit at Home Depot ($30 Bernzomatic TS4000) on a whim tonight on my way home. Sometimes the SF Bay Bridge commute just makes you go loopy.

Lit some used mesquite in the Egg in a few spots for about 30 seconds each and was up to 600 in 10m for a chicken tikka cook. Wonderful! I couldn't believe it, even after reading everything in the forums about torch lighting. Wish I'd done this sooner. Now I just need a dedicated Egg fire extinguisher and a full-body smock to deal with all those sparks! :-)

Gonna have to wait until I live in a less urban house before I dare upgrade to a weed burner.

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    I have had a MAPP for about 5 years and my solution for the sparks was to get a metal cap from a lamp store about 5 inches in diameter with a 1/2 inch hole in the center and then take the tip off to allow the nozzle to pass thru the hole, next replace the tip and used a small hose clamp to keep the cap snug against the tip. Mesquite does spark some.
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    BBQ Guru offers a great attachment, called the golf club, that attaches to the torch and then let you push hte flame down into the charcoal. You won't have any sparks.
  • RWhiplash
    Options
    Will the Golf Club attach to the MAPP container?
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    I love my weedburner and my little propane torch,but they both spit out sparks :pinch: Just remember to wear some safety glasses when using any kind of torch.It just takes one little ember to ruin your day,or worse ;)