Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT. Couple of our neighbors.

Old Salt
Old Salt Posts: 357
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My Son in law gave me a makeshift deer feeder and it sure worked. It's a 5 gallon bucket with a broom handle hanging down which they hit and the corn drops.

YoungDeer003.jpg

Comments

• Greetings Vern,
    how appropriate that the cap is in the forground of that shot. looks like the eggs are handy to get at if you should happen to need one for a venison loin.
  • Looks like ur keeping them in good health...do you have any ornamental plants around your place?? I have 3 does that raid my birdfeeder every day. They also eat the seed I throw down for the pair of Malards that set up shop next to my deck. Can't plant anything around our place deer love tossed salad. What the heck ...they were here first. :angry:
    Bob
    Alex City, Al

Opelika, Alabama
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    That's a great way to store the venison,...on the hoof! :laugh: Where is the feeder? I'd like to see that.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Is that a limited edition Homer Simpson Weber to the left?
    I have a couple of those...
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • In many places you can get a nuisance permit for deer that are ...well... nuisances. They do taste good on the egg.

Ed
  • Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    That makes me want to call my friends at PETA. (People Eating Tasty Animals).
  • Old Salt
    Yes, that's the Homer Simpson Grill. Bought it thru the internet about 6 or 7 years ago for $10. Still in good condition. I hear they were trying to call them a classic or something and putting the price at $145.
  • that is a nice looking place you have there

there sure are some nice spots around Whitney
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    I picked up a couple for $10 as well.
    Also a couple of the 22" gold series for $50.
    All with free shipping. Could not pass them up.
    I was told there were made for Sears and did not go over well. Amazon.com ended up with all of them.
    I'm sure there are collectors that would pay big money.
    I see them on Ebay from time to time.
    Take care,
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Nice shot Vern. I have a very mixed relationship with deer hear in South Ark. They are everywhere. Like watching them and there gracefullness. Still amazes me how they flat foot sail over 6 foot fences. Pretty good to eat as long as they are young, and hate to see one at 3:30 in the morning an the Harley cause you know there's a few more with him close! :pinch:
  • Old Salt
    We've lived in Whitney for 11 years. Used to go camping down here and decided to move here. We now live in a gated community called White Bluff that's a safe haven for wildlife.
    We've had to stop to let the wild turkeys cross the road.
  • Old Salt
    Many years ago when we lived in Cal I was driving up to the mountains at night when two deer ran across in front of me and I hit the second one. I stopped and looked for it and heard it bleating in the woods.
    The next morning my wife and I looked for it and found it by hearing the sound. I picked it up and took it to the ranger station. It's hip and both back legs were smashed. He put it out of it's misery.
  • Pretty healthy (fat) does for here in Tejas! Most of the deer around Central Texas look more like dogs with antlers....nothing like the monsters in South Texas or up North.

Ingenious deer feeder!

Old Salt wrote:
    My Son in law gave me a makeshift deer feeder and it sure worked. It's a 5 gallon bucket with a broom handle hanging down which they hit and the corn drops.

YoungDeer003.jpg