Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pastrami question

Shiff
Shiff Posts: 1,835
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've had my large BGE for about a week and have been happy with it.

Last night I made pastrami using the recipe from "Playing with fire and smoke". I followed the "wet pastrami" method and it came out a little tough. Still great, but tough. We sliced it thin and it was a little better.

I smoked it at 225-275 grate temp until it was 150 degrees. Then I wrapped in foil with a little beef broth and checked it when it got to 165 and it was still tough, so I checked again when it got to 175 and it was still tough. I finally took it off at 190. It was a little better,but still on the tough side.

Are there any suggestions as to what else I should have done to make it more tender?

Barry
Large BGE
Barry, Lancaster, PA

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Hi Barry,

Well, since you checked for tenderness throughout a broad temperature range, it might have been a tougher piece of meat to start with. Slicing thin like you did always helps (I'm assuming you were going against the grain)...The pressure finish will be more tender than the wet finish.

One thing to keep in mind is that quality of corned briskets changes from brand to brand, but one thing is fairly common, briskets selected for corning most generally come from lower grades of beef and also can be odd shaped or have more fat. They are probably just one cut above the ones that go into the hamburger pile. I never buy an unknown brand and once I find one I like, I stick with it.

On a side note, home corning produces a nice product and you don't have to use a brisket. Corned chucks come out well.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Shiff
    We had a few of these corned beef flats in our freezer. I cooked one by boiling a month ago and it was pretty tender. This particular one might have been a tough one, though.

I did slice against the grain. We don't own a pressure cooker at the moment.

I'll have to consider corning my own beef in the future to see how it comes out.

Barry
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    DSC04350g.jpg

Instead of the foil finish, you could try braising it in a covered pan in the oven at 250-275 (this is a chuck roast in the pic). Bring the broth about 1/3 of the way up the thickness of the meat. This will be similar to steamed pastrami you can get in deli's. You might want to season it a little heavier as the braising will retard the flavor a bit.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Shiff
    Could probably also use a dutch oven for this in the BGE. I'll try this next time.

Barry
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA