Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cedar plank suggestions

Options
Darnoc
Darnoc Posts: 2,661
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have never done any plank cooking and checking on line you find planks that are $20.00 each or one that got my attention from Pacific Northwest Fine Wood Products that were $14.95 for six.Size is 5.5x11.5x3/8 inch thick.I do not like salmon but would like to try other foods with this method.You guys got me started on this with the post of planked mashed taters.This is something that I know nothing about but don't want to get ripped by buying the wrong thing.

Comments

• lowercasebill
    Options
    i did cedar planked taters , howver cedar is a bit strong for my taste and perefer other woods,, especially alder for salmon.. you can plank any fish you want , i put a layer of this lemon slices between fish and plank makes clean up easy if you are able to reuse the plank.
    http://www.charcoalstore.com/c4700/Wood-Planks

has a nice selection..
    what i was thinking of , but have not done was searing filets and then putting the taters and a filet on a preheated hickory plank to finish and serving on the plank like chateaubriand
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    something like this?..
    Meatloaf005.jpg
    ..I've bought expensive planks and cheap planks and really cant tell much difference..I spose some purists would say there is..but to me it's all about the flavor and if I cant taste it I cant justify it...
  • Darnoc
    Options
    Thanks for the site on the planks.I just did not know what thickness of a plank I should be looking for or for that matter what might represent my best buy in picking a supplier.
  • Darnoc
    Options
    It was your post that got me into this 'thing' and my first attempt was to cook it in a cast iron skillet.Stop it! You are killing me.Seems like a different shot of spuds there because of the excess amount of parsley on top.Lowes had some that were only 1/4 inch thick at the cost of $7.88 for two.Pacific Northwest had 6 that were 3/8 inch thick for $14.00.Or you can get twenty planks 3 1/2x5 1/2 for twenty bucks.I would think that ones being a quarter of a inch thick would only be good for one cook.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    pssst...plain common cedar siding is cheap. Just make sure it wasn't treated. Most any big box like orange or blue sells them. Granted you'll have to cut them, but cedar is a soft wood and even a dull saw will get the job done!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Darnoc
    Options
    Thank you RRP.I thought that I had read that before on the forum.Now I can load up,burn them up,and go back for more plus cutting them to the size I want.Thanks again for the tip.
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    haha..yeah..I have made them buncha times and do somthing a little different each time..as for the planks..I've used the 1/4 inch ones for more than one cook..I use them till they show some sign of being charred..
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    there is no difference except in price.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    preheating the plank will give you maximum smoke, and that';s maybe why you find it too strong.

soak the plank to delay smoke until the end of the cook and you'll have much less chance of the resiny flavor that you want to avoid
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Kokeman
    Kokeman Posts: 822
    Options
    I get 1x6x 8ft cedar boards for about ten bucks at the lumber store. Still using the scrap from my egg table I made.
  • opod
    opod Posts: 41
    Options
    i agree with the 1x6x8 planks. i buy them in lowes/home depot and just take a circular saw to them. they are usually in the outdoor section near the paving bricks as they're usually used for yard fencing. perfect width to cook salmon and i usually get 2 steaks/plank. one time use for me and toss. Very cheap and 2 boards last me a couple of months.
    klk
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    LOL and if they are to big the band saw will fix it, even if the fish is already on it! A few times I have not paid attention to which egg Neil had lit and gone out to put them on and to big and fully loaded, so I run to the garage and zip! it is shorter and will now fit! Or sometimes just rounding the edges will make it work. LOl Julie