Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Newbie turkey help

Options
Big E
Big E Posts: 51
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Going to be doing about a 22 lb. turkey for thanksgiving and was needing a little guidance. Want to do some trial runs before the big day.
How many people do they figure per lb of bird as well as cooking time per lb? Do you stuff the bird with any thing special?
Anyone that could help with tips would be much appreciated. Just looking for a little Mad Max advice or anyone's for that matter.

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    4 or 6 oz of cooked product per person per serving.

You will lose about 40% of the weight to bone and grissle
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    I really like the Mad Max method. Full pictorial recipe is at The Naked Whiz site. I am not sure if it is the recipe section of the forum (guess I should take a look).

I do put stuffing in the bird. The stuffing closest to the opening of the bird will be very smokey. About an inch in, the stuffing is excellent IMO.

No idea how to figure how much turkey for x number of people. A 23# bird is about the largest I can cook in the large, which is enough for our family. 24 people total (4 under the age of 3).

GG