Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

DQ2 is purrrrring but.....(Lil help please)

EggZona
EggZona Posts: 108
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok, 2nd cook with the DQ2. Pit probe is clipped to the grate. Not touching the meat and over the leg of the plate setter so that it is not in direct line of the heat. Dome temp is purring steady at 235. Grate is reading 205 and that is where I set it.

Seems logical that they would be different but I just want to check. SO the question is, do you kinda get your dome to the desired tempertatue and then set the pit temp to generate the desired dome temp or should they be the same?

I am not sure there is a better smell on earth!

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Clip the temp probe to the Probe of the dome thermometer and kick it up to 250.

There is a 20-30 degree difference in temp between the dome and grate. Clipping the probe to the dome thermometer gets it that much further away from cold mass of meat.
  • Some folks will clip the q2 to the dome & some will clip to the grate. The guru folks show both on their site.

I connect to the grate. At the beginning of the cook there will be a difference as CW said. Once the egg is extremely stabilized, and depending on the outside ambient temp the temp will get closer to the dome temp. In the summer I am sometimes only 10° higher dome winter cooking in bleow 0° ambient the closest I have gotten at the end of the cook is about 20°.

Trust the guru Luke.

You do need some room from the meat so the meat isn't affecting the q2 probe. Sounds like you have everything under control.

Enjoy the aroma.

GG
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    FWIW, I always clip my probe to the stem of the thermometer. The dome temp is what I normally use, so I just don't see the upside of controlling a temperature that I am not all that familar with.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Sam, your grate temp will change as the meat warms up, I clip the pit probe to the dome therm stem and set for 250 and don't worry about grate temp. -RP
  • EggZona
    EggZona Posts: 108
    That thing is definetly amazing. About 10 hrs into it now and butt now at 177* internal. Got up about 5:30 this morning and dome temp was right on the same degree that I set it at. WOW.

Still having problems though. I did move the Pit Probe to the Dome Thermometer. Seems that there must be something wrong. Pit is set for 215* and dome is at 250*. I verified my Dome temp by inserting my Thermapen in through the dome hole and it is consistant with the BGE Thermometers temp. I have sent an email to bbqguru tech.....
  • 407BGE
    407BGE Posts: 187
    If the pit is higher than you set it the fire is pulling air in without the aid of the fan. I can happen and the only way that I have found to control it is once the pit is stabilized I turn the daisy wheel almost closed and put the fan almost closed as well. Since I started this no fire has gotten away from me.
  • 407BGE is spot on. The way you can detect this is that the fan will not operate, but temps will rise. To achieve 215 you need VERY little air flow. Think of the guru as being able only to regulate temps higher than the natural air flow permitted by the daisy wheel and the fan vent gate. If you can't get the temp low enough, you're letting in too much air.