Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Picked Up Some Wok Stuff

Grandpas Grub
Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Thanks all for the Wok tips.

Went to Target to pick up a spatula and learned the spatula's are only available on line.

So my wife went to a Chinese food store. Now the folk at the store barely speak broken English, which is better than our non Chinese.

They took us over the to wok's, but that isn't what we wanted as we have tjv's wok. My wife spotted the spatula.

The nice lady at the register looked at my wife, the spatula and said no, no, no, no. Grabbed my wife by the hand and took her back to another part of the store.

Wife had no idea what the lady was trying to do but she grabbed basket and said 'must have'. The lady took the basket and spatula and made the movement of wok'ing putting imaginary stuff from the spatula into the basket. Then she said 'no oil, no oil'.

All my wife knew is that she wasn't getting out of the store without both pieces.

Fun place to go.

The best part both of these cost $6.75. Even more fun place to go.

I figured that was pretty darn cheap.

GG

woktools.jpg

Comments

• Wow! Looks like you got the high-end stuff and low end prices. You did good.

Spring "Wok Stop" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Not sure about high end, but it looks ok to me and. Spatula is one piece so it won't break. The basked looks good too.

Now if the rain will stop cuz I don't have one of those woven hats.

Ready to wok and roll! (almost).

Thanks for your help and post your cook looked fantastic.

GG
  • Kent, you should really enjoy wokking. I've never been too much into stir-fry/Chinese, but doing my own with my choice of ingredients really makes a difference. My son Steve's eyes light up when he sees my start to set the wok up and my wife likes it really well too. Try inverting the Spider to raise your wok up closer to the rim of the Egg. I find that you get plenty of heat even raised up like that and it's easier to access the contents of the wok.

Notice the level of the wok with the Spider inverted. (legs down)

106-0659_IMG.jpg

In the serving bowl. This was just a collection of various veggies and beef cubes and was really good. Go to the Asian section of your market and just buy some random seasonings and sauces to see what you like.

106-0667_IMG.jpg

Mark
  • Kent,

The basket is called a spider. If you can find another one cheap they are perfect for emptying lump from the egg before cleaning.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    That's a funny story, those people can be a hoot at times. Price was great also.

Cheers,
    Bordello
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    John is that you??

"Those people"????
  • That's a good idea, thanks Steven. The store seemed to have plenty.

Kent
  • Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Thanks for that response. I was thinking exactly the same thing, even though I know it was not intended as offensive.
  • Thank Mark,

I invert the spider for the back end cooking of my dutch oven stuff all the time, chili, soups, roasts etc. Normal position to sear, remove, invert the spider, then put the DO on.

In a way I wish I would have bought a medium CI grid for use on the spider.

Your pictures look good. Me trying to just buy some seasonings is like a tornado in a trailer park. Results will end up the same.

What sauce/seasonings did you use in the last picture. That looks pretty darn good there.

Kent
  • Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    One of the best deals you'll ever get, and usually such items last forever. I am still using woks, spatulas, and lots of other Asian cooking utensils that were purchased in the early 1970s from the local Chinese grocery stores and that have been used several times a week since those days. But I didn't pay anything close to the exorbitant prices you paid! :laugh:
  • I think the sauce was just a generic Kikkoman Stir Fry sauce for that one. Peruse some stir fry recipes that sound good to you and you'll know what to buy. There's Fish sauce, Oyster sauce....you name it. Mark
  • I was amazed with the prices. 4 or 5 months ago there was some posts on some type of Chinese sauce. We found that same store and got there and recognized the bottle.

There were some Monk's there who didn't (or wouldn't) speak English. I tried to point to the kind of stuff I wanted. They picked some liquid sauces off the shelf and put them in our basket.

Some burned my socks off and other tasted pretty good. Had no idea what to use it on but it was fun anyway.

Kent
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Hey Kent, You wokin now baby! It is called a spider and it is a must have, But you need to go back and get a large ladle.
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • Old Salt
    Old Salt Posts: 357
    The Chinese mustard also will knock your socks off. A little dab will do you in.
  • Old Salt
    Old Salt Posts: 357
    The Chinese mustard also will knock your socks off. A little dab will do you in.
  • Lab Rat
    Lab Rat Posts: 147
    I have two and use them exactly as Steve says for removing the old lump - the bonus is they work great for sifting out the ash.

I take a scoop of used charcoal in one of the spiders, shake it and transfer back and forth into the other spider to knock off the ash. After the charcoal is transferred, I use the shop vac to clean out the firebox.

Works great!
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    nice looking spatula!!!

i need to try woking sometime :laugh:

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Nice snag there Grandpas. ;) Wok on the Egg is one thing I havent tryed. Look forward to seeing what you pull off!
  • Kent,

Great Score!!!

Ross
  • How long do the sauces last? That might be on the bottle.

GG
  • It's all Spring (Wok'n a by baby) Chicken's fault and his post the other day.

I got my wok from tjv almost a year ago now and it hasn't been taken out of the wrapping.

Is the 'shovel' called a ladle? I am going to be in trouble with the spider. Now tjv's spider and the Chinese spider. Great.

I got a couple of links to some recipes & how too's so I will start reading and hopefully this cold rain will end so I can get started.

There are a couple of nice wok posts that have been put up in the last little while. I am excited.

Kent
  • tjv had a super basket (sort of like a Chinese spider) he made for the large. I think thirdeye made something similar also.

Other than that the spider idea sounds pretty good. I think I would cut some of the wires out.

I have also thought of using a gold pan classifier or getting a small mesh type of chicken wire and making something.

The spider would be something I wouldn't have to fabricate.

GG
  • Love that stuff.

GG
  • I was amazed, it is the normal price for these things.

The store is about 2 or 3 times bigger than a 7-11 and a Chinese family opened it up to serve the Chinese folk.

Kent
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    That spatula looks cool and for the price you paid for both is a great buy.The spatula makes a great tool for removing the ash out of the fire box.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,664
    the stuff in those stores is insanely cheap, i picked up a bag of dried thai peppers that was the size of a pillow case for about 6 dolars there last time and the dried mushroom section is also great, buy it and it keeps forever. i dont think ive ever been there and had a bill over 30 dollars at the place near me. for stir frying in the egg there is a trick that you dont see posted here often, bring the dome temp up to 700/800 degrees and open the lower vent. wait til the fire subsides and you will have enough heat to stirfry dome open, if you shut the dome the food sweats instead of frys.
    http://www.greeneggers.net/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=411297&catid=1
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Thank you for the post & link. That chicken looks good, hate the snow.

GG
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,664
    i just reread what i posted and see a mistake, should read close the lower vent completly and leave the dome open, it makes the heat stable without the flames long enough to cook with the wok
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    GG
    Check out my blogsite, I have a few wok recipies that have turned out exceptionally well.
    Tony
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241