Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey Breast bone-in skin-on help

Options
Trailblazer1229
Trailblazer1229 Posts: 69
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
For preparation of the Turkey coming to town, I headed down to Whole Foods and picked out a 5.5 lb skin on bone in fresh turkey breast. I did my homework on the forum for a smoked turkey dinner.

I lathered the outside of the bird with a olive oil and melted butter. I then used some Rudy's Poultry Rub under the skin and on top of the skin.

I set up the egg for indirect and legs up, directly on the grid. Got the fire up to 350 and had some apple wood chips for the smoke. It cooked for almost 2 hours and I pulled at 170. The turkey timer in the breast had not popped yet.

It looked great, but the skin was not crispy and was pretty soggy. I removed it and wrapped it in foil and transported it to my Dad's where we ate it about 2 hours later. It was still warm when I pulled the foil off. I ended up cutting the skin off and set aside for broth later. I tried following the instructions on the web for cutting. I removed the breast entirely from the bone, but ended up maserating it. I had a killer smoke ring and the flavor is right where I want it to be, but it was a little dry. And, like I said, the skin was very soggy.

I guess I need help here. How do I get the skin crispier and I would like it moister on the inside. The taste is where I want it, but I want to nail this thing for the holidays. Any help would be great.

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    i did the same cook myself tonight.. ..rubbed with butter. .. basted regularly (every 15- 20 minutes) with the melted butter in the roasting pan. ...the butter helps crisp up the skin. .. . forget the little temp popper. ...i think those things are set to pop at around 170+ to insure that they don't get sued! ... i pulled mine when it was 160 internal.. ..the meat was increadably moist! . ...skin wasn't really crispy, but i never care about that. . ..one thing you can do, is when the bird hits around 150 internal temps. .open up your vents and let the temps climb to over 400 degrees to help crisp up the skin. ..but just keep an eye on the internal temps so that the meat doesn't get over done. ... for the full up details of how i cook a turkey (and you can do this with just the bone-in breast like i did tonight -see my post a few below this one), just go to this link. ..

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/madmaxturkey.htm
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    170 is a little high for Breast meat, especially if your thermometers are off.

Constant basting will crisp up the skin. Every 20 minutes works wonders.

about two hours is about right for the time. Those little plastic timers should be chucked.

You could kick up the temp the last 30 minutes or so to get the skin crisper.
  • Knauf
    Knauf Posts: 337
    Options
    Everyone must be practicing for turkey day later this month. I did the same cook today (bone in fresh breast) cooked to 165 internal (my timer popped, but I used my thermometer). Wrapped in foil and towel then into cooler. Carved about 2 hours later at the in-laws house. Skin was a little soggy but I think that was from being wrapped inside a cooler. I think you went too high on you temp before pulling.