Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bag full of Jalapenos - no time to cook

Options
Conundrum
Conundrum Posts: 65
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
A friend of mine gave me a gallon zip lock full of jalapenos he grew in his back yard. I immediatly though "ABT's" :laugh: . Unfortunatly I have no time to cook them for the next few weeks and I hate for these peppers to go to waste in my fridge. Can I freeze them and use later or is there any other way to keep them.

Thanks
Reed

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    You could coarsley chop them up in food processer and add to a jar of vinegar. Then when you need some for a salsa or chili pot just dip them out of the jar. They will last a long time in the frig.

Here is another method

Pickled, Peppers, Jalapeno, BBQ Bob

INGREDIENTS:
    36 Fresh Jalapenos, Habaneros
    2-4 pint sterilized jars w/lids
    Pickling Solution
    3 Cups Water
    3 Cups 5-6 % Distilled White Vinegar
    Green Tomatoes
    Carrots
    Onions
    Califlower

Procedure:
    1 Basic Recipe: I usually add Green Tomatoes, Carrots, Onions, and Califlower to this. Also you can add some sugar for a sweet and spicey pickle mix.
    2 To insure the best pickled chiles, choose only the freshest ones and those with no blemishes. Bruised fruit will produce "mushy" chiles. You can also soak the chiles overnight in a brine of 3 cups water and 1 cup pickling salt to crisp them before pickling. Be sure to rinse them well to remove excess salt before processing. Note ; This recipe requires advance preparation.
    3 Poke a couple of small holes in top of each chili and pack them tightly in sterilized jars leaving 1/4 inch head space.
    4 Combine the Vinegar, Water, and Salt. Bring the solution to a boil and pour over the chiles. Remove trapped air bubbles by gently tapping on the sides of the jars. Add more of the pickling solution, if needed; close the jars.
    5 store for 4-6 weeks in a cool dark area. Closets great

Servings: 1
    Yield: 2 pints

Recipe Type
    Condiment

Recipe Source
    Author: BBQ Bob Trudnak

Source: BGE Forum, BBQ Bob, 2005/09/01
  • Axeman
    Axeman Posts: 24
    Options
    Remove the seeds before you freeze them if you want to use them for abts. The peppers get to soft to remove the seeds after freezing. I've got 15 gallons in freezer now for abts.
  • ChefDave
    ChefDave Posts: 142
    Options
    Find some one who has South American birds (Parrots). The Macaws and Amazons love all peppers cause they don't have a sensory gland and don't know it's HOT.

David
  • SuzyQue
    Options
    I had too many in my garden a couple of years ago and found the following suggestion: Take 20 jalapenos and cut the stems off. Then cut them into large pieces (I usually just cut them into thirds) and drop them into a food processor. Add 1 tablespoon of salt. Pulse them until you have a pretty good dice. You don't want them chopped completely into mush.

I then keep them in a container in my refrigerator where they usually keep about a month or so. I then spoon them on just about everything I eat from eggs in the morning to vegetables at night. They add a lot of flavor to just about anything. I have several friends who love them, and I have those (including my husband) who won't touch them because they are quite hot.

You can also separate them into usable portions and freeze them to use later.
  • Conundrum
    Options
    If freezing does it make any difference if you just throw them in the freezer in a zip lock of can you use a food saver?
  • Axeman
    Axeman Posts: 24
    Options
    I just use zip lock they will keep for a long time
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Conundrum,

You could smoke them.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    I am with Richard, preserve them. I soak mine for 24 hours in vinegar, drain, then pack in olive oil, then leave them on the shelf throughout the year & use on everything. The last jar I did (not shown here) was also jalepenos; they were the end of the year mutants so they were not really ABT'able so I jarred them:

IMG_1742.jpg
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Abelman
    Options
    I'd say smoke them for 2 hours at 225-250. I use Apple wood as I like a little sweetness. Then, dehydrate them after the smoke. Once done, throw them in a blender or a coffee grinder. You'll have some Chipotle Powder. I smoke a lot of different types of peppers which I grow each year. I love them. Or, you can smoke some and just dehydrate the others as all the other steps apply. The different types and flavors are great with smokes and cooks.

The aroma and taste is great. One thing you can do is once all ground, you can sift it to remove the seeds a they tend to sour over time. Or, you can remove the seeds after you smoek them. You can also remove the veins in the core of the pepper. The more you remove, the milder they will be.
  • Neil Gunn
    Options
    Everts green bags.