Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

how do you cook duck and goose??

mikeb6109
mikeb6109 Posts: 2,067
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
friend just called me and he has 6 ducks and 4 goose freshly caught today. hmmm now how the hell do i cook these. i asked for just the breast,so any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!

Comments

• Otobiz
    Otobiz Posts: 82
    I made some goose Jerky out of a breast a buddy gave me. It was good, brined for a day than put on my wing holder, nice nd slow for about 2 hours
  • mikeb6109
    mikeb6109 Posts: 2,067
    hey steve how about emailing me the details on that ?
  • Otobiz
    hey mike it was my first try at it, I just used a small jar of apple juice, put in a tablespoon or so of brown sugar, some salt and pepper, and let it soak already sliced up, sliced against the grain, cooked on egg , with strips hanging on my chicken rack, cooked until they looked dried out I think it was 2 hours, but I went a little long as some where reall y dry.
  • smoke
    smoke Posts: 30
    breast the ducks out, butterfly and stuff with cream cheese and jalapeno, and wrap with bacon. cook direct at 325 till bacon is done. as for the geese. just throw them away and dont waste your time.
  • Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Whenever I do something that my wife doesn't like, I know my goose is cooked.

It's not hard. Usually involves going out with the guys, staying out late, leaving a mess around the house, etc.

If you really need help, just give me a call. I'm becomming an expert! :woohoo:

Did someone say "Road trip to Canada"? :laugh:
  • Otobiz
    you guys better bring your own beer when you come here,you wont be able to drink our high octane stuff.lol
  • TomM24
    TomM24 Posts: 1,366
    Mike:

I've done duck breasts many times mostly on the Weber and a couple of times on the Egg. Debone it and cut it into two halves.

Indirect 350F fat side done for most of the cook with fluid in a drip pan is the way to go. If you go direct the fat will drip and burn and flare up with a foul smell. I go to 145F Here was a breast.

IMG_0081.jpg
  • TomM24
    TomM24 Posts: 1,366
    My has has done whole ducks a few times in the oven and always starts by picking holes in the skin with a fork and then gently steaming the fat out for a while. Then remove then she would take the water out and finish at 350.

Those were always domestic birds your will have less fat. If you search I know JL has posted some wild ducks.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Mike,

Goose is way too fatty for the egg. Wild duck should be brined for a couple of days and cooked indirect. One of the very few foods I don't like is goose.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    I got a taste for the "good stuff" when I lived in Upstate NY.

You need something to take the edge off when it's so freakin' cold up there!! :evil: