Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Frozen/Welded Lid Solution

Options
JSlot
JSlot Posts: 1,218
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have seen many of you in the colder climes post about your Eggs frozen shut and some others with gasket sticking problems. I never encountered this problem in 5+ years until we had our first hard freeze a few weeks ago. My solution was to take some tin foil and place around the rim of the Egg after cooking. We have had two very hard freezes since then and I have had no trouble at all opening the Egg. This may not be the ideal fix, but so far so good here in SC.[p]Keep the smoke risin',
Jim

Comments

• JSlot,
    We just returned to Atlanta after Christmas to find my lid frozen shut. It was 25* when I woke up. I didn't have time to do anything about it then except set it in the sunlight. Three or four hours later it opened fine. I thought I was going to have to tear up a gasket.