Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Nomex Gasket Installation

KingSmono
KingSmono Posts: 132
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I started the Nomex Gasket installation today... below are a few cell phone pictures of the old gasket, and the bare ceramic (no gasket).

It was a pain scrubbing and scraping the old gasket off... but I think I've finally got it clean enough to apply the nomex. It took way longer than I thought, so I'm going to have to finish it up tomorrow... but the big question here is:

3M 77 Adhesive or not??

2982425740_2384de1e6b_b.jpg

2982429052_07f1109512_b.jpg

2981577193_271038cf30_b.jpg

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    I would say use it....even if it isn't necessary..it sure won't hurt anything
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    How old was your gasket?
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • KingSmono
    Just over 2 months old. I singed it while cranking the BGE up to 750 for a T-Rex steak cook... and ever since then, smoke pours out through the gasket seal every time the BBQ Guru Fan kicks on.

While I was up at Eggtoberfest, I decided to pick up a Nomex gasket, and thought I'd swap em out when time permitted.
  • KingSmono
    Thanks, the reason I asked is because I've found a few posts that said using the 3M 77 adhesive might have been a mistake... I'll probably give it a go though.
  • Egg And I
    Egg And I Posts: 110
    I just went through this. Chose not to use the 77. Had a 12-15" section on the bottom come loose after about three cooks. Redid that section with the 77 a couple days ago (no cooks yet, want to give it plenty of time to set up. Dunno if that's really necessary, though, but can't hurt.)

If I were starting from scratch again, I think I'd go ahead and use it to begin with.
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Absolutely, scrub it with Acetone, then apply the 77, I did this one about a month ago, holding like a champ:

IMG_1819.jpg

IMG_1821.jpg

IMG_1822.jpg

IMG_1823.jpg
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • My gasket is still hanging in there. Looks pretty scuffy, but, still working. I't almost three years old and I do a lot of T-rex steaks--up to 800 degrees. I wonder how come I have been so lucky? I was going to pick up a gasket at the fest, but, I forgot it.
    Picked up a bunch of other stuff and completely forgot the darn thing. Gordon
  • My gasket is still hanging in there. Looks pretty scuffy, but, still working. I't almost three years old and I do a lot of T-rex steaks--up to 800 degrees. I wonder how come I have been so lucky? I was going to pick up a gasket at the fest, but, I forgot it.
    Picked up a bunch of other stuff and completely forgot the darn thing. Gordon
  • bubba tim
    I just replaced my gasket after well over 12 years. Yep, when the guru fan kicked on, smoke did seep out. I did a clean out at 850 plus and made the mistake of messing with the dome gasket. If you use the 3m product, you may run into the same problem at high temps. You may want to try Permatex Ultra-Copper silicone. It will go the distance in heat.
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • bubba tim
    boy you make a mess! :woohoo:
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    I used it on my install, and have used it in the past if a spot comes loose..good stuff in my opinion.
  • bubba tim
    P3230008.jpg
    P3230010.jpg

P3230012.jpg

All done tight seal. Funny, now it burps when I close everything.. :woohoo: :woohoo:
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    As of late it seems the gasket problems are mainly caused by the adhesive.

Nomex is a higher temp gasket material over the felt.

Nevertheless, if the problem is in fact the adhesive then not using something other than the provided strip adhesive is likely to fail, such as Zippylip's experience.

Many folks have stated use 3M 77 on the egg surfaces. I still wonder about having the old adhesive on the Nomex, or felt for that matter, then 3M 77 then egg, will 'both' adhesives be better or is the old adhesive still a weak link.

Some folk say when the original adhesive fails, peel it off the gasket side, or egg side, and apply the 3M 77.

Using heat such as a propane or MAPP torch and a scraper makes quick work out of removing a gasket.

GG
  • I used it when I installed my Nomex and then the original adhesive came off.

101_2474640x480.jpg

101_2478640x480.jpg

I ended up peeling the original adhesive and going back with the 77. Haven't had any problems with it since then. I think maybe I just put too much 3M 77 on along with the adhesive. I would use it again but go with a light coating. Be sure to mask off any thing you don't want adhesive on. Hold the gasket flush with the ID as you install and don't stretch it.

101_2459640x480.jpg

Good luck with it.
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    yea, & they were the clean pictures :laugh:
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Use it! I had to go back and use the 3m 77 after mine fell off. Looking good now!
  • KingSmono
    Man, after reading all of these responses, I'm going to go ahead with the 3M 77, but I almost wish that the Nomex Gasket didn't come with any adhesive on it to begin with... it sounds like the chances are good that I'll have to wait until it fails, then reapply the 3M 77. :blink:

Oh well, such is life. Thanks for all of the advice/tips/pics!!
  • B & C
    B & C Posts: 217
    Frank,
    Did you mean that your nomex gasket let loose because the original factory adhesive failed to hold to the Super 77 you had applied to the egg?

I need to apply a new gasket to both of my eggs and wanted to use Nomex.

I picked up my new LBGE last weekend after the fest. I asked for an egg where the original gray gasket had failed. BGE gave me what I asked for and threw in a replacement Nomex gasket without an already applied adhesive.

I also already had a medium BGE and the gasket is shot and needs to be replaced. About 6 months ago I had bought a large Nomex gasket to put on my medium. I believe that gasket came with a factory adhesive already applied and stuck to a wax impregnated paper tape. BGE told me my medium BGE is not as thick as a large so that I need to have the Nomex gasket hang toward the outside of the egg or I will need to trim off a small edge strip about a 1/4 inch wide to get the large Nomex gasket to fit the narrower edge of my medium.

Is it ok to use the gasket with the factory adhesive plus Super 77 to replace the gasket on my MBGE? Or do I need to get a Nomex gasket without factory adhesive and then use the Super 77 to stick it to my MBGE?

Thanks,
  • UGAVET
    UGAVET Posts: 577
    I also just bought new nomex gaskets without adhesive for 2 of my eggs at the mothership. They recommended 3m super 77 to apply. i think that is the way they are going now rather than the adhesive backed nomex
  • KingSmono
    Dang, I wish I would've known that there was an "adhesive" or "no adhesive" backed Nomex gasket option. I would've bought the gasket without adhesive on the back, and just used the 3M 77. Doh!
  • KingSmono
    BGE's legendary customer service strikes again... I just shot them an e-mail asking if I could send back my nomex gasket, and swap it for one without adhesive already on it... they said, no need to send mine back, just give them my address, and they'd send out a new one (without adhesive on it) asap. Crazy! I don't know of any other company that would do that!