Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza photo

scrambled egg
scrambled egg Posts: 16
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I originally purchased my BGE for its brick oven pizza abilities. I had been using a Weber Silver series with a smoke box and pavers to accomplish this perfect pizza method for the past 6 months. The gas was producing some really extraordinary pizzas, but I knew I was going to have to elevate my new found grilling technique in the very near future. Viola!! Enter the BGE. Later this afternoon, I am going to experiment with my steak ponchartrain on the BGE. Any suggestions??

egg013.jpg

Comments

• Dude, your smile is as wide as the dome is open on your EGG. Congrats and welcome to the community. :laugh: Mark
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Scrambled....looks nice ...that a pizza??? what type???? what temps???? TKS
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    that wouldn't be a beer hiding in that foam BGE can holder thingy, now would it :woohoo: ?
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • TomM24
    TomM24 Posts: 1,366
    Welcome:

That looks like a lot of smoke coming out of your egg. Where you trying to add a smoke flavor? If not let the fire go a little longer.

Which makes the better pie the egg or the weber? Can't help with the steak never had it.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Never heard of steak pontchartrain before - the only google results I found describe it as a filet oscar.

Is it a filet topped with lump crab meat, bernaise, and asparagus tips?

Pie looks tasty - are you doing it on a pizza stone directly on the grid?
  • Beli, you bet it's a pizza. Arugula Pesto, Buffalo Moz, Fontina, Asiago, Artichokes, Red Pepper, and Portobello. I started with BGE lump, a few chunks of hickory, and a BGE pizza stone. I get an initial temp around 700 degrees then fall back to 400 degrees. I have to stay with dough and monitor frequently as I am still developing a feel for the egg.
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Wow, sounds like a really good pizza. Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing!!
  • Pizza looks good. Steak Pontchartrain? Try T-Rexing the steak and then add the sauce.

If you are anywhere near lake Pontchartrain invite me over and I'll critique the results.
  • Yeah, it got smoky there for a bit. It’s more difficult to maintain a stable temp with the Egg when such a large grilling surface area is covered by the pizza stone. So far the Weber and the Egg are neck and neck. They each have there advantages and disadvantages. I see myself becoming an Egg advocate very soon.
  • T-Rexing??? Do teach, i am willing to learn. I have only been preparing steaks three ways for the past two years (straight up grilled, rockeller, and ponchartrain. Please teach T-rex for BGE.
  • That's exactly what a steak Ponchartrain is like in North Florida. I am not certain about other locations, especially around Louisiana. It may be all together different there. I have a great Rockefeller technique as well. let me know if your interested in the recipe.
  • welcome and nice looking pizza... i [we] are not familiar with ponchartrain or rockefeller steaks. cooking method toppings??? please elaborate
    you can find trex method here

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/trexsteak.htm

and backwards here

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/xertsteak.htm

bill
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Welcome aboard scrambled,

I would really like to see the recipe.

For my wife and I (and up to 3 grand kids at a time) the mini if fantastic. You will love it when you get one.

Check you email in a few minutes. I will send over something that might be useful to you.

Thanks to you and your fmaily for your service to our country.

GG
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Steak Ponchertrain...

Hmmm....

Isn't that the kind prepared under water?

~ B
    :laugh:
  • UGAVET
    UGAVET Posts: 577
    have you tried a raised grid setup to get your pizza stone higher in the dome?
  • UGAVET, the only raised grid application i have tried is the Plate Setter, which also seemed to decrease my overall heat. What is the raised grid set up?
  • UGAVET
    UGAVET Posts: 577
    your platesetter looks like it is setting down lower than the felt line inside your egg. i dont have a medium but i have a small and a large and when i have the platesetter in place my pizza stone sits just above the gasket line. may be just my eyes not looking at your picture properly.
  • Grandpa's Grub, i have placed my grilled pizza dough recipe below. This recipe has held up to the grill really well. I have only only tired it once in the oven. The grill is by far the preferred method.

Grilled Pizza Dough

2 & 1/2 Cups All Purpose Flour
    1 Cup Cake Flour
    1 Tablespoon Sugar
    2 Teaspoons Kosher Salt
    2 Teaspoon Dry Active Yeast. Fast Rising Yeast (Fleischman’s)
    1 & ¼ Cups Warm Water (105-115 degrees Fahrenheit)
    Extra Virgin Olive Oil for bowl

Garlic Sauce

1/3 Cup Oil
    4 Minced Garilc Cloves
    1 Pinch Red Pepper Flakes

Toppings

my family and I are not vegetarians by any stretch of the imagination, but we have always preferred vegetarian style pizzas. If you like artichokes and haven't begun adding them to your pizza's, i encourage you to start now.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Thank you for posting the recipe.

Kent
  • Zippylip
    Scrambled egg, I am right there witcha on the artichokes, this one is artichoke & caramalized fennel with feta, great combo & no meat

Pizza008.jpg
    happy in the hut
  • Zippylip, solid pizza!! I'm going to make it my next one. Looks great. Thanks
  • Zippylip, solid pizza!! I'm going to make it my next one. Looks great. Thanks
  • Zippylip
    SE, by the way, I like using the marinated artichoke hearts in vinegar & olive oil, I think the brand is Cento, they really have a nice flavor & compliment the fennel & feta, it is truly a symphony of joy on the palette :P
    happy in the hut
  • UGAVET is correct. You can raise the grid by placing the platesetter feet down. Then place the grid on top of the platesetter and the stone on top of the grid.

I like to get the stone even a little higher. You can do this by placing a simple rib rack on the grid and placing the stone on top of the rack. I find it creates a good balance of nice brown crust, melted cheese, and crsipy toppings. The heat circultaes high in the dome and it also allows hot air to flow under the stone.

Last tip that I know of: After you get the lump nice and hot and setup the entire configuration of your desire, give the stone at least 30-45 minutes to get up to ambient temp of 450-500. A pizza will cook in 9-12 minutes.

Peace-a out!
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Welcome, Your pic/smile looks like a kid in a candy store. Pretty much how we all feel with the bge's.
    Molly
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Stitches
    Stitches Posts: 102
    Wow pizza on the egg man that looks good and just seeing it makes me hungry. Thanks for sharing
  • Tractor
    Tractor Posts: 288
    Hey Scrambled Egg, thanks for the inspiration with BGE pizza. I've been procrastinating on making some pizza on my egg ever since EGGtoberfest and your thread may have put me over the edge!
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Zippylip, save the juice from your artichokes and cook a hole bag of real, not quick barely and toss in a bag of frozen corn when it is almost done. stir it well to thaw and semi cook the corn, drain. You want about 50/50 corn and barley. add a few chopped scallions, a bunch of chopped cilantro, chopped red sweet pepper and the juice from the chokes. squeeze in some juice from 2 lemons and 2 limes salt and pepper to taste. chill. One of our summer salads we do at the studio and everyone loves it! very very good! Julie