Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chili

Options
Rolling Egg
Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Tonight I decided to cook up some chili for my first dutch oven cook on the egg. I have never cooked chili anywhere but the stove so here we go.....

1. Fired up the egg and got it up to 350. I went direct with dutch oven on the grid and went ahead and got the dutch oven up to temp with the egg. Approx 15 minutes.
2. I added one small piece of hickory to the fire. Put the ground beef (1lb.) in the d.o. As soon as I did this I started stirring it as it was already trying to stick to the sides a little. Looking back I might go with 300 the next time. Anyways, after the groung beef cooked for a few minutes I added two small chopped onions (or 1 medium) and a chopped clove of garlic. Browned it all together. Do Not Drain.
3. I added two 14oz cans pintos (drained and rinsed).
4. Added two 14oz cans stewed tomatoes (drained).
5. Added two small cans (8oz)tomato sauce and two of the same cans filled with water.
6. Added 2 1/2 tbl. Mexene chili powder.
7. Added 1/2 teaspoon Cumin.
8. Added 1/2 teaspoon sugar.
9. Add Cayenne pepper to taste.
After getting all the ingredients together I just tried to maintain 250 to 300 and let it simmer for about and hour, stirring every 10 to 15 minutes. When It was close to serving time I just added salt to taste. It was definitely a great pot of chili. Better than any other I've fixed.You could taste the hint of hickory in it. I cooked this for me and my wife (picky eater). If I had done it for myself only I would have added a chopped bell pepper. Ive also had great luck on the stove with adding chopped smoked sausage.

IMG_4544.jpg
IMG_4549.jpg
IMG_4557.jpg
IMG_4565.jpg

Comments