Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Whole Hog Setup

Low Country Egger
Low Country Egger Posts: 10
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Can somebody who was at Eggtoberfest please tell me or preferably show me a little more about the setup for the whole hog I saw in the pics?

Comments

• Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    I talked to the cook for a while. He cooked it starting the day before and finished it at the fest. The fire ring was taken out and the platesetter was placed feet down (I think) on the fire box. The hog had its back legs pulled up and tied about the head. I don't know the temp or length of time he used. Any other comments from folks at the fest?
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    While I was OOwing and AAhing, someone said that he had 4-6 inches?? of his backbone cut out to allow him to be bent.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    It was a 61 pound piglet. They ain't hogs till they grow up and get butchered :woohoo:

As Richard said there was a section of it's spine removed to help it bend in the middle.

Don't know about the temp, but I would suspect it was done low and slow at 250 dome.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,659
    wonder if he had to add lump
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Celtic Wolf
    If he started it at home and finished it at the fest the answer to that was YES!!

I would think he wouldn't if he just cooked it at home. You and I both know a load of wicked good would have lasted..
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    didn't catch the temp but heard the time was only 18 hrs.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    i think ultimately time of cook is determined by how deep it is to the center of the meat. that much meat formed into a ball would take much longer to cook than laid out.

like, cutting a hotdog in half across the middle wouldn't make it cook faster, but splitting it lengthwise would.

biggest chunk of that pig was its ham or shoulder probably. i would think that's what would be the last thing to reach 'done'
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Rollocks
    Rollocks Posts: 570
    Did he cook that on an XL egg or a large?
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Unreal..... I would have loved to try it. did they do a dipping sauce or anything for it? how was it?? lots of pic cooking, but none of pickin
  • Celtic Wolf
    They served it with a Teriyaki sauce.

It was good, but as a Eastern NC resident it would have been better with Eastern NC Sauce :woohoo:

I considered it, but the last time I asked about a piglet I was told I should let it grow up first.. :(
  • to add to that....the pig's spine was split down the middle then you are correct, about 4 inches of his spine was removed completely to allow him to fold in half and his back feet were tied up behind his ears. ..and yes, it was started at 8:30 the night before at home and then brought to the fest to finish. ..it was about a 14 hour cook at what i understand was done at around 250 degrees. . .. and it tasted damn good .. .very moist and succulant. .. i had a couple of the ribs. . ..

here he is in the egg

eggtoberfest08004.jpg

and out of the egg

eggtoberfest08012.jpg

i've been around these fests for awhile now and i can honestly say i ain't never seen nuttin like that before... i was impressed!!!
  • stike
    i'll say it again...

"if i could do that, i'd never leave the house!" ba-dum-pum.

thankyouverymuchi'llbehereallweek
  • Celtic Wolf
    I could come up there and remove 4" of your spine..

if I could find it :woohoo:
  • stike
    if you can manage to bum a ride up here, sure, what the hell.
  • thats exactly right. .. .he had two polders stuck in it. ...one in a shoulder and one in a ham. .. . cant remember what temps he pulled it at, but i remember he was slicing the meat rather than pulling it, so it was probabably in the 160 - 170 range as opposed to up in the 180 -200 range. ...like i said, it was moist as could be. .. .
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    How would that picture look on the front of the BGE brochure? Sure would be some heavy ammunition to the competition out there.Like the folks at Weber.Rots of luck on a 18 to 22inch kettle.
  • that's funny-both of them
  • Kenfd
    Kenfd Posts: 3
    Thanks for all the information on the whole pig on the BGE. I'm going to try this with my XL. I think I will tie the legs up with wire and place a loop in each. This will make it easier to pull out and dump the grease and reload the charcoal. I will do it just like the boston butts. Rub, injection marinade and refrigerate over night.
    I'll use my stoker and put it on at 11pm. At 7am, I'll pull it out and dump the grease and reload the lump charcoal. I'll let you know how it comes out

Placesetter legs down with no fire ring. Place pig in V-Rack and set in foil pan

Thanks
    Kenny G
  • shubydoobydo
    shubydoobydo Posts: 115
    Who removed the 4 inches from the spine? How did you do this? And why 4 inches why not most of it?