Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Looking for good BBQ Rest. in Atlanta

reelgem
reelgem Posts: 4,256
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We're getting into Atlanta this afternoon and we're wondering if anyone knows of a good BBQ restaurant or a good Southern cooking restaurant. Either in Tucker or between the airport and Tucker. I read that "Dreamland" and "Fat Matt's BBQ" are good. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    You aren't going to find BBQ as good as comes off the egg. No brag just a fact..

Skip the BBQ and go Cajun... Papadeaux's Exit 99 on I-85.. I recommend their Crayfish Etoufee :woohoo:
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Fox Brothers is the best BBQ I have eaten in a restaurant. Its not far out of the way from the airpport. Highly reccomend it. They have a buttermilk based white BBQ sauce that is awesome.
    I went to Dreamland with a group of coworkers recenlty and had to bite my tongue very hard not to complain. AWFUL.
    Fat Matts is good. They do spare ribs. Been years since I have been there.
    Also, not too far from Mothership is the Pig n' Chick which is good.

As far as Southern Food: Matthews Cafateria in Tucker, Mary Mac's Tea Room in Midtown, Silver Skillet in Midtown, or there are several Soul Food Cafe's on Auburn Ave.
  • 02Roush2
    02Roush2 Posts: 119
    Spiced Right on Highway 29 in Lilburn has the best brisket I have had in Atlanta and I have tried just about all locations that serve brisket around here. This is the same highway the mothership is on but would be approximately 10 miles on down the road. Dreamland isn't bad but would not be real convenient to the area you mention. There is a Hickory House restaurant close to the mothership but I cannot tell you how their BBQ pork is these days. Several years ago it wasn't bad at all but I have not been back since our office close to their location closed down.
  • reelgem
    You're right about that. I think we'll wait till Sat. to get our fill of that. Cajun sounds great, love etoufee! Thanks for the info. Glad you were able to make it. See you this weekend!
  • 02Roush2
    You can't go wrong with Pappadeauxs! One of my favorites for sure....
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    If you want good ole "hole-in-the-wall" type BBQ, then try Daddy D'z just outside of downtown - in the shadow of the state capitol building. Link Here I promise it is nothing fancy, but the Cue Wraps are worth the stop.

Their ribs are pretty good too.

There is also a Varsity across the interstate from the Pappadeaux that Pete mentioned :unsure:

The Swallow Another Link is constantly rated one of the best in Atlanta, but is just a bit out of the way for you.
  • Bacchus
    I agree that Papadeaux's is very, very good. But it is a chain(out of Texas I think). Why not take in some local fare while in town?
  • Fidel
    When was the last time you had Spiced Right? The original owners sold out a few years ago, and I went once after the sale and was unimpressed. Haven't been back, so maybe they got it together again.
  • Fidel
    Same group as Pappas Bros Steakhouse in Houston - which is incredible.

A very good meal to be had there for sure. There gumbo is pretty tasty too.
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    For BBQ I would suggest Fox Bros Bar-B-Q at 1238 Dekalb Avenue, The Rusty Nail on Buford Highway (just south of North Druid Hills) or Williamson Brothers in Marietta. Fatt Matt's on Piedmont has good ribs but is very small and crowded. As Yogi would say, "No one goes there anymore; it's too crowded." If you're after some really good Louisiana style food, I suggest Zuffy's (on Buford Highway - just north of N Druid Hills - home of Joe Dales Cajun Kitchen') and if you want a very nice atmosphere and more upscale, McKinnon's Louisiane on Maple Drive is always nice.

Also, not too far from the mothership is "The Ole Hickory House". Not bad but I think I complain about the BBQ most anywhere now that I'm doing my own on the EGG.
  • reelgem
    Thanks so much for the info. I read some reviews about Matthew's Cafeteria and I know I'll want to eat there at least once. It was even featured on the Food Network. I'm so excited about this weekend. This is our 1st EGGfest. We got our 1st egg June. Hope to meet you this weekend.
  • SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,500
    Morning reelgem:

As for Matthew's, a bunch of lady EggHeads (or as MadMax calls them -- ya-ya's) will be eating lunch there tomorrow (Friday). They are meeting at the Comfort Suites at 12:30 if you want to join them. Their men folk are either then going to the Varsity or to a Sushi restaurant. Feel free to one or all of the groups!

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• Celtic Wolf
    Only one place I can get BBQ and not complain anymore..

Lucky me that is right next door.. though sadly I think that has come to an end unless I can convince my father-in-law to let me do the work while he sits and watches.
  • Bacchus
    Yea, I rarely eat BBQ out anymore. or steak, or pizza, or .......
  • They are not my favorites but I am a bit surprised that noone mentioned Fresh Air or Harolds.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Could it be that they aren't anybody's favorites?? :whistle:
  • I know Big Un likes Fresh Air & they are both sually rted pretty high when local BBQ joints are rated.
  • Fresh Air is a bit of a ride from Atlanta.
  • But a reasonable detour for thoes headed north from FL.
  • Sir-Lurks-A-Lot wrote:
    But a reasonable detour for thoes headed north from FL.

True. There is also a place in Macon on the 485 bypass that is pretty popular. I think it is called JR's. It was pretty good but, I have not been there since I started egging so I did not really know any better.
  • Cecil
    Cecil Posts: 771
    Going to Eggfest? If so, join the group at the Varsity for local flavor, You will get Q at Fest.

If not going, I will be no help.

Walt
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    If you want some good Q go to Atlanta by way of Memphis! :lol:
  • 02Roush2
    Fidel wrote:
    When was the last time you had Spiced Right? The original owners sold out a few years ago, and I went once after the sale and was unimpressed. Haven't been back, so maybe they got it together again.

I know what you mean. I went a couple of years not eating there because I thought it had gone downhill. I went back earlier this year to give it a try and they had brisket on the menu. I thought it was absolutely great! I get some at least once a month in bulk and it lasts a couple of days. Still not a big fan of their sauce but we bring ours back from Oklahoma anyway. I usually ask for lean when ordering the brisket.
  • 02Roush2
    reelgem wrote:
    Thanks so much for the info. I read some reviews about Matthew's Cafeteria and I know I'll want to eat there at least once. It was even featured on the Food Network. I'm so excited about this weekend. This is our 1st EGGfest. We got our 1st egg June. Hope to meet you this weekend.

Not open on Sat or Sun! make sure to eat there by Friday dinner! Tonight is turkey and dressing night. The wife and I go there on Thursday night from time to time for the turkey dinner.

http://www.matthewscafeteria.com/
  • Fidel
    As long as Kansas City is on that route I would agree with you
  • Cecil
    Cecil Posts: 771
    Then stop by my house in Nashville :)

Walt
  • What about Pizza? i've read that Everybody's Pizza is ranked in the top 10 in the US on some online site.

Ate at Pappadeaux's last week in Houston. Very good but after eating several Cajun places in Houston, I found that they don't compare to real LA eatin'.

There's also Pappa's Steakhouse. Pappa's BBQ and Pappasitto's Mexican. All are decent.
  • GirlyEgg
    GirlyEgg Posts: 622
    It's probably too late for the recommendation... but I'd go for Fox Bros.. I agree with everyone's comments... but then it's about a mile from my house, so I go there often enough!

Another suggestion that I didn't see is Rolling Bones on Edgewood... right off the interstate (I-75/85)... all on the way from airport to Tucker...