Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Flank steak results.

mikeb6109
mikeb6109 Posts: 2,067
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
well just cooked the flank and man oh man was it good! i used the naked whiz idea of marinating in oil,soy,garlic.....and the cooking direct on the coals for 90 secs a side. could have gone 2 min per side but i like my meat rare so it was good but if i were to serve to others i would have cooked longer.

029-2.jpg
032-4.jpg
after the 15 minute rest in the foil....

035-2.jpg
037.jpg
039-3.jpg

Comments

• Tennisbum
    Tennisbum Posts: 228
    looks good to me like to ask since you cooked on the lump did it pick up any residue?
    gp
  • mikeb6109
    just a bit as i pulled out but i just flicked the off!
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Mike,

Mooo. That's what I'm talking about.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• mikeb6109
    steve i never heard of a beef piece being under cooked when mom or the father in law are around!!just the way we like it!
  • real nice.. caveman cook.. nice char and you can hear it moo.. my turn friday night boys won't be home i might get some food :laugh:
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Mike,
    That looks great to a fellow rare beef fan. You might want to try hot tubbing next time which works well even with meat as thin as a flank steak. I know as I just egged one to perfection Saturday night!

I wanted to respond the other night but knew I couldn't in a timely enough fashion, but my favorite of ALL FAVORITE meals uses a flank steak. I'll take it over steak, lobster or you name it! I'm talking about the meal that I have fixed to celebrate my birthday for each of the last 8 years and many other occasions over the last 33 years. It takes a bit of prep, but it's well worth the effort and elevates a lower cut of meat to a King's meal. It's one that I tell my wife if necessary just grab my collar like a dog to make me stop eating as my eyes glaze over and my stomach never senses FULL! Besides, any left overs are terrific eating cold over the kitchen sink the next day or two. If you're interested in the recipe I'll gladly share it, so just email me - otherwise I won't take the time nor effort to type it.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • ChefRD
    ChefRD Posts: 438
    Ron, I'd love to see it as I have never cooked a flank on the Egg. I tried once a long time ago on a grill and it was tough.
    Never tried it again, as I knew I did not know how. :)
    I've heard they're great tho, so would like to try your way.
    Thanks alot,
    Ron.
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Mike, You have been really busy but let me tell you, any time spent cooking like that is time well spent, looking to find what the translation to flank steak might be...probably falda, do you use it also for shreading??
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    First pic looks like the beginning of a lava pit. Pretty tough to get a thermapen in there. Flank steak is one of my new favorites, will have try it on the rocks.
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • what did you marande the flank steak in? that looks great
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    looks like you like your red meat red... me too

although the wife does not like hers as red as i do and you know what that means :(

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Wow! You weren't kidding about rare, were you?
  • mmm, I LOVE flank steak. Great cook!

FWIW, that "rare" is what the French refer to as "bleu."
  • mikeb6109
    beli this was my first try at flank,so i have no idea if you use it for shredding!!but i can tell you it was very very tender moist and good!!