Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

spider rig?

Options
dougemsmacks
dougemsmacks Posts: 152
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Had the spider rig sittin' here for a few months, been playing with the plate setter. Will it cook about the same as the plate setter or do I need to adjust?

Cooking some leg quarters, dry rubbed and I am setting it up @ 300°

Any thoughts?

Comments

• bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Options
    You may need to adjust. I must have had too much Gin tonight but I think your question should be direct (spider) or indirect (platesetter) to cook your chicken.
    I would go DP Tsunami rub and indirect at 300.
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    Options
    The plate setter is going to be indirect. The Spider is going to lower something (posibbly a deflector) below the fire ring. While you can do the same thing with them, it will depend on what stuff you have to go with your Spider.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    set the crossbars on level 3.0 or 4.5. porcelain grid on top of the rig and start the leg quarters on the grid as a direct cook. I might even raise the dome temp to 375. If the leg quarters are cooking fast(burn), drop a pan or stone on the crossbars to go indirect. just watch how the lump burns and move the chicken on the grid accordingly.

I do spatchcock atop the rig this way.
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    dougemsmacks,
    I do wings all the time, spider with pizza stone on it and the drip pan on the rods bottom of the rig and wings top of the rig. Works great for me and don't see why it won't work for legs.
    Jim

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer