Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best way to foil ribs???

Okeejohn
Okeejohn Posts: 297
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok, you are at the point of foiling your ribs. You got 3 slabs of spare ribs. Do you foil individually or do you put them all in a large pan and place foil on top. (Liquid of choice has been added already).

Okeejohn

Comments

• I individually wrap them :) Just my Preferance. Becuase I eat one slab at a time after letting them rest for 10 minutes prior to eating :whistle: It keeps em warm till you get to the next one LOL
  • do you soak wood chunks for 2 hours before using them or use them as is.

Okeejohn
  • Depends on whether you view them as one serving or three! ;)
  • I generally cut my rack in half at the begaining and wrap the two half togeather. Easer to wrap, half rack is about right for one with everything else I cook, and easy to arrange on the Egg.
    As far as soaking wood I do not. As long as its a decent piece it will not burn up as not enough air in the Egg to actavly burn.
  • Crash
    Crash Posts: 32
    I shorten soaking time by using hot water. I have a hot water dispenser and can wait on soaking chunks until I am ready to start the egg. This lets me focus on food prep then grill. The soak time is then about thirty minutes give or take.
  • Ya know those disposable foil trays that ya get in the grocery store for about $2.50 for two? I put my half slabs in those and foil the whole thing. They hold the vinegar and apple juice well, and it's easier to handle them when I'm putting them back on the grate. It's also easy to have them ready and waiting when I pull the ribs off the grate to foil them. If I'm using my extended rig, the trays bend easily to fit well around the legs of the upper grate. It probably doesn't matter which way you go, because they're coming out of the foil for the last phase anyway. It's just less messy for me to use the trays...and you can re-use them several times. They'll be great whichever way you go.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Ah, a spare rib question.....they are my favorite. Here goes, I would have my three sections of two layer foil all ready to go, and my liquid of choice would be heated. If I was planning on a sweet slather like honey or apple jelly, it would be warm. I do them one at a time so that the time each rack is away from the heat is minimal. As a matter of fact, since my assembly is in the kitchen, I do my foil time in the oven.

I wrap individually and meat down. I like as much surface area of the meat in contact with the liquid as I can get. The amount of juice is important too. If you have too much, it's tough to get the braising action you are going for, too little and you risk it cooking off (or reducing too much) and defeating the purpose. 1-1/2 or 2 ounces works good for me, unless you are doing an untrimmed slab, then a hair more may be needed.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • The same characteristics that make the BGE a great smoker allow you to use wood chunks dry.

The reason the BGE is such a geat smoker is due to the fact that you can control temp easily. By limiting the amount of air entering you are controlling the amount of fire burning. This also helps with smoke production. To maintain temps with other cookers you had a "wildly" burning fire with hot spots here and there. By soaking chunks you could release smoke at different times, by waiting for the water to boil off before the wood burned. I haven't soaked a chip in the BGE, because all the air entering is being used in heat production, causing a controlled fire with even temps and even smoke production.
  • if you do soak chips or chunks, you can make life easier next time by soaking a double, triple, etc. batch and then freezing the left overs. They will be ready for next time.