Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Adventures With Ham

Lee2
Lee2 Posts: 38
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just pulled the ham I've been babying along for a week off the Egg, and for a first-time effort, I am very pleased with the results. I brined a 5 lb boneless ham for a week and smoked it today with a couple smallish chunks of hickory and some apple. I started by heating the Egg to 450°, and after the ham went in, I dropped the temp back down to 350° where it stayed for the next six hours. I pulled it out when it reached an internal temp of 180°. It is tender, juicy, slightly smokey and all that a ham should be. I'll post the recipe in the new recipe section.

Comments

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Lee2, sounds great. Please make sure that you post the recipe. Sounds like something I could do for next weekend. Thanks!

• Lee2
    Lee2 Posts: 38
    Gfw,
    The ham is posted in the new recipe section. I forgot to add in the recipe that I left the entire fatcap on the ham for moistness and then pulled it off after it came out of the Egg. I think this is one of those things where there is probably great latitude for playing around with ingredients, woods, temps, etc.

• MAC
    MAC Posts: 442
    Lee2,
    Exactly the way I brine my hams. They are very good when they set for a week. Use spices in the brine too like clove and of course brown sugar. If you really want to get messy, when its almost done, assuming you have cross hatched it with a knife, set it in someting like a drip pan and put honey or brown sugar and pinapple rings over it and finish it on the EGG. That ham will say hi to you when it comes out.[p]MAC

• MAC
    MAC Posts: 442
    Lee2,
    Exactly the way I brine my hams. They are very good when they set for a week. Use spices in the brine too like clove and of course brown sugar. If you really want to get messy, when its almost done, assuming you have cross hatched it with a knife, set it in someting like a drip pan and put honey or brown sugar and pinapple rings over it and finish it on the EGG. That ham will say hi to you when it comes out.[p]MAC