Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Tenderloin Recipe Help

Options
Smokin Tiger
Smokin Tiger Posts: 352
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My wife picked up a couple of pork tenderloins today. Any suggestions? Favorite rubs? Cooking methods?

I was thinking about Dizzy Dust or Shakin the Tree direct on a raised grid at 350-400. What would be the best internal temp to shoot for?

Thanks in advance

Tom C

Comments

• Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Options
    140F, wrap in foil -- rest... Then munch!
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    Smokin..you didn't say if you wanted this for dinner tonight or tomorrow..if tomorrow and you are willing to marinade, this is a killer tenderloin recipe that my wife and I have continued to make changes to until I think now we have it just about right! ;) ..that is if you like a lil kick..if it's too late for this now.. save it and try it later...you'll have a hard time beating it for a tenderloin if you like southwest cooking!...
    Southwestern Grilled Pork Tenderloin
    Ingredients
    2 Fresh Tenderloin (about 1 1/2 lb total)
    5 tsp chili powder
    1 1/2 tsp oregano
    3/4 tsp ground cumin
    2 garlic cloves, crushed
    1 tbsp vegetable oil

Cooking Instructions
    1. Mix seasonings and vegetable oil together in small bowl. Rub mixture over all surfaces of tenderloins. Place in large resealable bag. Refrigerate tenderloins 2 to 4 hrs.
    2. Preheat egg to medium-hot (375-400 dome) direct. Grill tenderloins, turning occassionally, 15 to 20 minutes or until done (internal temp 155-165d F)

Slice tenderloins into medallions. Serve with grilled corn on the cob and marinated black bean salad or sides of choice.

Careful! It's habit forming!! :woohoo:
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    like to stuff mine with whatever turns you on.I cook indirect at 350 till internal temp is at 160 degrees.I do believe that 140 degrees is a bit to low.
  • DynaGreaseball
    Options
    your method sounds perfect. Try making a mustard cream sauce to put over the tender slices. I pull at 145° internal.

Reduce approximately a pint of heavy cream to about half, then spoon in about two tablespoons of whole grane mustard. A little salt and fresh ground pepper. Insane!

DSCN0382.jpg
  • NibbleMeThis
    Options
    I just made this old favorite tonight. This was the first time we tried it on the egg and it rocked!

Southwestern Pork Tenderloins W/ Cumin Mayonnaise
    Yields: 8

Ingredients
    2 1 lb pork tenderloins
    1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
    1 teaspoon chili powder
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    Cumin Mayonnaise

Instructions
    Rub tenderloins w/ dry rub of cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper. Oil a grill rack and place 5 inches from heat source. Cook, turning several times until internal temp is 150 degrees. Serve sliced w/ Cumin Mayonnaise.

Grove alterations: Cooked on a hot grill until 150 internal. Also drizzled olive oil each turn to keep crust slightly moist. Let sit for a few minutes after coming off the grill.

Update 9-16-08: Set up on the BGE was 350 indirect on the grid for about 20 minutes, turning every 5 or so.

Cumin Mayonnaise
    Yields: 1

Ingredients
    4 teaspoons ground cumin
    1 cup mayonnaise
    2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
    3 teaspoons Chopped fresh cilantro

Instructions
    In a small skillet over medium heat (using no oil), add cumin and stir constantly until darkened (2 minutes). Remove from heat. Mix mayo, cumin, lime juice and cilantro in a bowl. Cover and let chill for an hour before serving. Grove alterations: used lemon instead of lime juice.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • JLOCKHART29
    Options
    The biggest problem I have is over cooking them. About 145 internal and no more than 150 for me. Also reheats are not 1/2 as good as hot off the grill. Moisture runs out of them pretty fast.
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Options
    Yeah -- I really agree about the 140F being too low. I try to pull the pork right after it passes 140 [tirch is killed at 137F], and the carry-over temp while wrapped in foil [and in the cooler] usually brings the meat to above 150F...

But whenever I try to pull it approaching 160F, it's really drying out!

~ Broc
  • Basscat
    Basscat Posts: 803
    Options
    Shakin' the Tree, 140-145 (140 if you aren't scared of pink pork, please don't go past 145). Simple, juicy, and good eats!
  • Beretta28
    Options
    Hello all,
    I'm new here and just getting started with my EGG! But here's is the BEST recipe I've ever found for Pork Tenderloin.
    They are juicy, flavorful and tender every time.
    If you leave the red pepper flakes out they are not spicy.
    Even my 8 and 11 year old eat these!

1/4 Cup soy sauce
    1/4 Cup vegetable oil
    1/4 Cup dry red or white wine
    1 T Sugar
    2 tsp curry powder
    1/2 tsp - 1 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
    2 1/2 lb pork tenderloin cut into 1 1/4 cubes

Mix together soy sauce, oil, wine, sugar, curry powder and pepper flakes in a 1 Gallon ziploc bag.

Add pork, squeeze out air, seal and refigerate for at least 2 hours. Turn occasionally.

Put 4 or 5 bamboo skewers to soak in water

Prepare your Egg. About 425 is perfect

Remove pork from marinade. Pat dry with paper towels; reserve the marinade.
    Put the pork on the skewers.

Arrange skewers on the grill. Turn frequently and brush occasionallly with the reserved marinade.
    Cook through about 20 minutes.

Enjoy!!!!