Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: any old western fans here?

RRP
RRP Posts: 25,880
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Boy does this bring back some memories - it's longer and deeper than the initial start off. Enjoy!
http://www.oldfortyfives.com:80/thoseoldwesterns.htm
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    0fb2ed8e.jpg

I thought you might be talking about these kind of western fans....
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Are they attached to your antique collection of oil wells that are still pumping?
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    IMG_1014.jpg

You mean post hole diggers?
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Thanks Ron! They don't make 'em like that anymore.

Mike
  • Willie
    Willie Posts: 132
    Man this brings back many memories ( happy ones )thanks for sharing this clip with us.Willie.
  • Man that opened some doors that have been closed for a long long time. Thanks for memories.
    Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.
  • Thanks for posting.....what a "Blast From The Past"
  • IMG_0056.jpg

Like Thirdeye,...I'm a fan, too.

Your post got me thinking of my 1950's Saturday regimen...I started the day at a few minutes before 7 A.M. staring at the classic TV test pattern on Channel 11, KCBD in Lubbock, Texas until "The Eyes of Texas" began playing to start the viewing day.

First on the agenda was a morning devotional moment quickly followed by "The Roy Rogers Show". One of my lasting disappointments was the running of the same episode on two consecutive Saturdays (Trigger Kidnapped). Weekend ruined!

The remainder of the morning was filled with "The Adventures of Rin Tin Tin", "Fury", "My Friend Flicka" and "Sky King". The morning viewing concluded with a Johnny Weissmuller "Tarzan". Then it was outside to "play" Cowboys and Indians.

Man, those were the days!

Mike
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Now that was fun watching...i still love the Western channel...
  • I really feel old now. :D
  • Those are pretty antique also. We have tons of 'modorn'windmills around here.

I can see these from my window.

Sony62808001sunrise-vi.jpg
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Mike,

I know I had a crush on Penny ...she was Sky King's niece...did you???
  • Thanks Ron,

Brings back a lot of good memories of my dad. He would take me to some local boxing. We would watch westerns and he would share his younger days.

I remember him telling me he would work a full day for a neighbor in exchange for the use of a team and wagon for a day.

Those were good times.

GG
  • ChefRD
    ChefRD Posts: 438
    Yep Ron,
    I remember almost all of them. It really does bring back old memories of watching a b/w tv on saturdays with only three channels. It was the early 1950's and we had to go outside and turn the tv antennae by hand, as we had no rotor ;).
    I also remember the screaming indian early morning broadcast (test pattern) until regularly scheduled broadcasting began. We could hardly wait, there was four of us kids at that time.
    I don't remember Johnny Mack Brown as a tv show or star, but I do have possibly one of the only comedy albums ever made by the Statler Brothers and it is called "Statler Brothers Live at the Johnny Mack Brown High School". It is hilarious, terrible singing, terrible poetry recital, etc.
    Thanks for reminding me.
    Your friend,
    Ron.
  • RRP
    LOL - I agree - There were a few of the older "Western heroes" who predated me as a product of 1944, but I recognized all of the names, except for the supporting actors, yet even most of their faces looked familiar. LOL Just like now when I run in to people!!!! "I know you? don't I?"

I also got a kick out of your comment about running outside to manually move the antenna. My dear Dad made a metal base complete with a large railroad wheel ball bearing at the base that the pipe sat on so even I or my sister could run out and turn that 30 foot heavy beast with ease so as to line up the marks for the best reception for each of the 3 channels we could get do there in central Missouri in the mid 50's. Only a couple "rich" people in town had those electric rotors - but who cared when you were a kid?
  • ChefRD
    Yep, times were different then. Very simple but a lot of fun.
    Man, you would have made me think you "were" rich with a smooth set up like on your tv antenna. Ours was usually in dirt or if lucky, sitting on a flattish sorta rock. :)

But yeah I still like the old westerns and the Statler Brothers!

Have a great evening.
    ron.
  • RRP
    LOL - guess I should have told you - my Father was an honest to GOD blacksmith with his own blacksmith shop for years up in Iowa. Then in 1952 we moved to Missouri where he worked another 25 years as "the sole" company blacksmith for a large manufacturing company repairing and making whatever, but never as a production welder. Trust me... I grew up with anything and everything made out of metal to last upteen lifetimes and then many more lifetimes! You've heard the term "built like a brick sh*thouse?...well ours was heavy metal and bomb proof to boot"!
  • ChefRD
    My dad worked in a factory so we had nothing fancy, but we "did" have a tv with the old rotary tuner that clanked thru each channel. The damn thing would start to "roll" every 10 minutes or so and you had to walk up to it and twist the knob for vertical roll, and go sit back down, and the damn thing would then start rolling the black bar the other way!
    We finally trashed it and never bought another "Motorroller" again. :)
    Thank god for digital. :)
    later,
    ron.