Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT- Atkins Program with the BGE - Success srories?

Options
Boatman
Boatman Posts: 854
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm thinking of starting an Atkins program and was wondering if there are any success stories out there in Egg land? I would love to hear them....recipes that helped etc. Seems like Eggin would be a good fit with a few minor modifications...thanks B)

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    The Egg is the perfect vehicle for cruising the Atkins diet. -RP
  • Ashman
    Ashman Posts: 375
    Options
    I have used a low carb diet with great success. First few days are the hardest. The egg lends itself to the meatarian diet. Just grill an onion not a potato.

Gordon
  • No Yolk
    Options
    I don't want to jinx myself but I've lost 35 pounds since the end of April following Atkins with most of the cooking done on the Egg. The easiest part of giving up the potatoes was it was so quick to get the Egged meat on the plate and then eaten - no waiting! I didn't worry about trimming off all the fat, either. We tried and really like the grilled romaine as a side dish. The other adjustment was giving up the wine/alcohol for 2 weeks. Fooled myself by drinking ice water out of my biggest wine glass. At least it felt like I was still having my wine during happy hour! I still have 15 pounds to go. It was almost fun shopping for a dress for our son's wedding as I was down 4 sizes!

I couldn't have had the success I had without the BGE!!

Dianne
  • AZRP
    Options
    Alright Dianne, now I'm sorry I'm not making the fest to check out your new hot bod. Oh well, I think I've gained about what you've lost, but I'm eating healthy. Best to Doug and hope to see you guys sometime soon. -RP
  • WileECoyote
    Options
    I first tried Atkins back in 1999. My initial attempt was not successful even though I was following all of the guidelines. I read his book again from cover to cover and then recorded everything I ate for a few weeks. Upon review of my diet I found numerous foods which contained hidden carb ingredients such as wheat flour, dextrose, sucrose, etc. I also found many foods that say "0 carb per serving" on the label but the serving size is very small and/or the carb count is really 0.9 which they can legally report as 0, thus when you eat 5-10 servings in a day of this supposedly carb free food you are really getting 5-10 grams. Foods which had to be cut out or severely restricted included pork rinds with BBQ seasoning (sugar), processed deli lunch meats with preservatives and hidden carbs, slim jims, beef jerky that was seasoned with sugar, and diet drinks with hidden carbs. I also found that it was critical to take all of the right vitamins.

I corrected these mistakes and then the diet worked great. I lost 64 lbs. in 6 months. It was pretty easy to stay on it once I got past the first 2 weeks and got rid of all the junk at home, however my personal daily carb count has to be under 20 grams for me to lose weight and that isn't very much at all. Some people can eat 30-60 grams per day and still lose weight but I have to eat 10-20 grams per day and will typically lose 1-2 lbs. per week. Only other frustration was the mysterious plateaus where you are still strict as can be but the weight loss just stops or even climbs for 1-2 weeks. I just kept on doing the diet and it eventually resumed but this was hard to stay motivated when the scale quits showing results.

Now that I have the egg it is much easier to stay on the diet, although I am having trouble finding enough variety to keep from being bored. There are lots of low carb foods which I could eat but I don't like some of them so my selection is even more limited. I try to offset this by using different spices and rubs, then taking a break from the egg for 1-2 days every week when I will just eat scrambled eggs or some low quality take out just so I will remember how excellent the egg food really is.
  • AZRP
    Options
    Yep, you can't trust the labels on food, you have to pee on test strips to know if you're eating right. -RP
  • Boatman
    Boatman Posts: 854
    Options
    Thanks for sharing that....I appreciate it. Good luck with the remaining 15!