Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

pizza has a funny taste help

Options
dougemsmacks
dougemsmacks Posts: 152
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
pizza has a funny taste and I don't think it is too bad but the family does not like it. It is the left overs in the egg, I put mashed potatoes in to re-heat and had the same taste. I cook a lot of chicken and the grease coats everything.

When I do a pizza it is new lump and pre heated till no smoke ( which takes a long time) stone in for 10 min. and then the pizza.

how do I clean the interior of the egg? I tried 600 deg. till the lump burned out but it did not work. Any ideas?

Comments

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    What temp are you cooking pizza?
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    What is the funny taste? Is it chicken, is it soot, or something else? A couple observations, one, I don't think your stone is on long enough to preheat properly, however that wouldn't give a funny taste. Two, if you really want to self-clean, I would go higher than 600 if that didn't do it. If you do a lot of chicken & all that fat is dripping into your lump, you definitely what to burn that off - I try and do my chicken or burger cooks (anything I am doing direct that results in dripping fat) over as little lump (& preferably pre-used) as possible, that way when the cook is done I open up the top and bottom all the way & let it burn out. Next cook, clean every thing out, clean the grate & everything is good, no lingering flavors...
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I know what you mean- pizza and baked goods can easily pick up extra "flavors".

Open your bag of lump and take a sniff (don't go snorting dust, just see what it smells like). The other day I noticed that the smell in my charcoal bag resembled the undesireable taste that my wife says is on everything cooked in the egg.

Clean is the key, but it sounds like you are being careful. I agree that your high temp clean didn't last long enough- it should last long enough (half -hour? maybe more?) to restore everything but the dome to it's original white color.

This is a difficult problem because 90% of the people here have probably never noticed any off-flavor, but I have........... and my wife complains about it at EVERY MEAL I COOK! I know it's real. I think the taste comes from new lump that isn't burned yet. Not to worry, you can overcome this. I just had a peach pie that I cooked on the Egg and it was fine. I made a Blueberry pie last week and it was great. Both I would be ok with letting anyone try to taste anything funny.

Oh, make sure your metal grate/grill is not part of your setup when cooking pizza or baking stuff. Elimination of that was a big help.

good luck!
  • deez20
    Options
    I just got my large last friday and had noticed an odd taste on some burgers that I cooked and also on some shrimp. I made my first pizza on wednesday and it didn't have an off taste. What I did differently was to get rid of the BGE fire starters and let the lump burn for 20-30 minutes and didn't have any problems. This was a mix of old and new lump. I think my original issue was not letting the lump burn long enough before putting food on it.