Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Favorite Shrimp Sauce?

Rascal
Rascal Posts: 3,923
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've tried Old Savannah and found it to be pretty good but not really worth the 30% over Crosse & Blackwell. What's your fav?

Comments

• i just take horseradish and mix it with ketchup till it hits just the right amount of heat to my liking. . .as far as the shrimp themselves, tsunami spin and then on the skewers and onto a 425 degree egg for a couple of minutes per side. ..dats it. ..
  • mb168
    mb168 Posts: 265
    What do you mean "shrimp sauce?" Old Savannah sells 2 products that are sauce for shrimp, tartar and cocktail. When people say "shrimp sauce" here in Savannah it is usually that sweet, pink, mayonnaise type stuff you see at Japanese steak houses that people dump all over their rice.

Being here in Savannah, every grocery store has a shelf full of different brands to try. Honestly I don't even know what brand I bought last, I think maybe Kraft. I typically will add a good bit of cayenne pepper to it though to spice it up when we do low country boil so it doesn't taste like it originally did anyway.
  • Riley
    Riley Posts: 51
    That's what I think of as shrimp sauce (the Japanese stuff). I've tried many times to make it, and just can't seem to get it right.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    I actually prefer a good remoulade over traditional cocktail sauce.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,673
    we just make them up, no real recipes. horsradish and ketchup like max says with whatever else is handy like worcestershire, clam juice, lemon juice added to it. a simple honey mustard brown sugar sauce is pretty good with shrimp. my sisterinlaw makes a sourcream and yogurt based horseradish dip thats pretty good. we setup a deepfry fondue plate at the table and let evryone cook and prepare their own, usually shrimp, scallops, some cooked piecses of lobster, and batter for those that want it. i dont ever remember using sauce on grilled shrimp, i would lean towards a lemon butter sauce or maybe a sweet glaze. ive got a recipe at home for Beurre blanc style sauce with tarragon and shallots thats for drizzling over seafood sausages to try out that would probably be great, just need a spare hundred dollars to make the sausage recipe and try it.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    If grilled I just rubbem and eatem.

If boiled. BUTTER lots of BUTTER
  • This might be similar to what you are describing.

1/2 cup of mayo

2 diced chipotle's in adobe sauce (canned goods at your gro)

3. 1/2 juice of one lime

4. 1/2 tspn of cumin

at this point i blend these together and then start adding ketchup to taste.

This makes an asskicker shrimp taco sauce also

good luck
    allen