Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Living cookbook users

Cecil
Cecil Posts: 771
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I got this software earlier this week with much excitement. After playing at it for a few days, I have been unable to figure out how to import recipes from this forum, online cookbooks or cooking websites.

I am not great with computers also not so good with instructions written on a "6th grade level".

Any advice would be great.

Thanks,
Walt

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Happy to help. Drop me a direct email addy and phone number. Have had it for about 4 years and very happy and comfortable with it. Am leaving the house for a few hours so will call you this afternoon if that is ok.

Go to the recipe you want to copy, many of mine are from sources other that the forum. Hold the left button down on the mouse and highlight the info. CTRL C" then go to LCB and go to top of page, action, new, recipe. when it opens go to right tab "CAPTURE" and "CTRL V". now everything should be there except pictures and you then highlight each section and go to the area you want it in on the right. not necessary at this point to "CTRL C/V" When we get to pictures that is another lesson that took me 4 months to get correct info from radium tech. I am just a phone call away. I am sending you an FDX file with the master chapters that I use.
  • the first question is "are you trying to import .fdx files, made for Living cookbook(LC)? If yes, I save thme as a fdx file and then import them to whatever cookbook chapter is appropriate. send me an email to stborders at msn.com and I'll send you an fdx file to try it with. Richard in Fl is the guru of LC
  • Now that Richard has seen tour post, you are in good hands. I love my LCB with Richard's 24/7 tech support.
  • Cecil
    Cecil Posts: 771
    Thanks guys, I will continue to play some today and if I am still lost I will contact you, Richard. I can see the benefits of this tool and can't wait to use it properly.

Thanks again,
    Walt
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    yea scotty i am with you..... the richard/tech support is the best way to get familiar with it.. i would offer to help but richard knows more than all of us

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• I've been looking at buying Living Cookbook but have a question for those of you with experience with it. I'm trying to clean out the boxes of paper scraps with recipes that I've acquired over many years and consolidate everything into one location (and not cluttering up a couple of kitchen drawers). My question is..........Can I scan pictures of the recipes I've saved from magazines etc. into LC? And if I can, how difficult is it?
    Thanks,
    Loowanda
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Yes you can scan. It is stored as a jpg file and then in the edit recipe section for making a new recipe there is a scan section for the jpg file and you then have it in the recipe data base. OR you can spend lots of time hand typing into LCB like I have for my collection like yours. OR you can get some fancy Opticaal Character Reading (OCR) software--last time I looked about $200 and then copy and paste... The hand entering I have been doing has made me think how badly do I need multiple methods of making whatever. email me off line if you would like further assistance.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Richard,

What type computer are you using and what OS?

Are you interested in an OCR program?

GG
  • I've got a Dell PC with Windows XP. And I'm interested in knowing more.
    Judy
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Judy,

I just got an email from Richard and am waiting to hear back from him.

After I responded to him I got to wondering if he had any type of scanner. But, now I think about it if he or anyone has a good enough camera that will hold the resolution for test, that should work also.

I need to check what I have, but I possibly have some older OCR software that I haven't and probably won't be using.

If any forum member is interested, you included, let me know and I will see what I can come up with.

I need to clean out some old stuff that has been hanging around - some of it for a long, long time. Apple II pre floppy drive time. When Bill Gates pirated his OS (or should that be 'invented') I went that route and left apple behind. Don't need any static from the mac fans.

GG