Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

new table

opod
opod Posts: 41
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
IMG_2290.jpg
just built my table from plans on naked whiz's site. went well. i'm not mechanically inclined but instructions were overall very good. Here's what I learned:
1. building the frame properly is THE KEY. all sides must be square and exactly match in height. if one side is off and you belt sand it, your planking will not match when you lay it.
2. initially make the legs a little long and of equal length. you can cut them down later to accommadate your wheels. equal lengths makes it level while you're working on it which is nice.
3. USE A COUNTER SINK. I did not and split several cut pieces of wood.
4. I put the whole thing together, labeled pieces, then took it apart and stained/varnished it. i then put stained/varnished pieces together again which went pretty well.
5. i followed directions but my smoker opening on top did not match the granite i have on the bottom. i had to adjust accordingly and fortunately had enough wiggle room in the top to properly align it.
kurt kowalski

Comments

• Jeet
    Jeet Posts: 43
    I have to say I am absolutely impressed!
  • c tredwell
    c tredwell Posts: 575
    Hey Kurt,
    great looking table! One suggestion...scribe your top piece of granite and use a router to take out enough wood to inset your cutting board. would look very clean. if you do that, drill a finger hole in the bottom of the inset to pop the granite out for easy cleaning!
    Just a thought.... :whistle:
    ctredwell
    go dawgs
  • porchegg
    porchegg Posts: 47
    Nice looking table. Good job and thanks for the tips. That's a project on my list.
  • skihorn
    skihorn Posts: 600
    That looks very nice!

"not mechanically inclined"???

I am not sure how you would describe me. When I change a light bulb I tell my wife I just did a minor home repair. If I have to use a ladder, then it is a major home repair. :)
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    dang that is one glossy table.....I can see myself getting another beer.....LOL. T
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • metrylee
    metrylee Posts: 94
    you did a good job
    i need to do that also
  • opod
    sorry for the ignorance, but what is "scribe?" I left the cutting board a little proud intentionally so i can lay hot stuff on it that may be a little wider than the granite without burning the table. Maybe if I had the edges of the granite polished it would look a little nicer--but it would be a bit more expensive, and it's amazing how all the little things keep running up the costs. keep the suggestions coming--i'm all ears!!
  • BHE1
    BHE1 Posts: 205
    OPOD, First the table looks great. I just printed the directions from the same website. I hope you don't mind me asking but what was the final cost for materials. At this point, I'm wondering if there is a significant cost savings by making the table myself?
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    It looks great! You did good job and should be proud. Now get cookin'!
  • Looks great! If what you say is true about your skills, you did a great job.

On a side note about your table, look on the Whiz site about the base you are using. A few folks have had some issues with that.

I have seen many post "disappear" about that issue, so that is all i will say.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    I would say that you ARE mechanically inclined. Nice Table.
  • opod
    if you're referring to the wheels set-up, i used the 10" "no flat" wheels on a 5/8" threaded rod that is the recommended "fix" for the previous wheel problems people were having with flattening. i'll find out soon enough if it is a problem. Plan B is to remove the wheels and put that side on 1" blocks if i need to.
    Total cost was probably $300-$350. Toss up to build vs buy vs hire somebody to do it for you. There is some value in the satisfaction of doing it yourself though and if i can do it 99% of you can as well. I will say the staining/varnishing took about twice as long as actually constructing the table.
    One additonal consideration for those considering making one would be to double up the 2x4's for the legs. it would not change the blueprint plans and would make the legs much stronger. it just seems like a lot of weight on those legs but again, i'm not a home builder so i don't know how much weight 2x4's usually hold.
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    I think he's talking about what your Egg is sitting on. Some Eggers here have issues with thinner (< 1") bases cracking, sometimes explosively. You might consider putting a paver or two under the Egg instead. Not quite as pretty, but more durable:

DSC01094.jpg
  • ric3677
    ric3677 Posts: 278
    You took the words right out of my mouth Brad.

Rick
  • SKIP
    SKIP Posts: 1
    Where can I find the plans for a table like this? It looks really great!
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    You can find plans for a Large or Small at - where else? - The Naked Whiz's Site