Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Adding Smokewood issues

Sketchy Squirrel
Sketchy Squirrel Posts: 3
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey All,

so...I do love doing ribs/pork shoulders. My setup is to use the heat shield so that the meat doesn't get the direct heat. Now, I love using smokewood, however, does anyone have any suggestions of adding smokewood mid cook? It always seems to be slightly a hassle and I get mixed results. How do ya'll handle the smokewood during a long smoke is what I'd love for some feedback on!

-Jeff

Comments

• Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    I never add, I just start with giant pieces that'll smoke for a good long time
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Chunk wood, not chips, mixed well threw thw lump. Also I also have a grill lifter that I can pick the grill and meat up with and just chunk a couple wedges under the platsetter.
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    I typically use large chunks that burn a while also. The majority of the smoke permiates the meat during the early part of the cook. As the meat warms it "closes up", and less and less smoke will result in the taste. Get a good amount on during the intial stage of the cook and you should be fine. Another way to continue wood smoking is to place chunks through out your lump and it will burn as the fire spreads. HTH. Enjoy!!
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    What are you callig a 'heat shield'????? The plate setter!?

http://www.biggreenegg.com/components.html

If you use chunks then you are going to have to remove the grid and work around the plate setter.

Chips, a bit hard but sometimes some can be dropped in. I prefer chunks but a lot of the flavor wood I can get locally are chips. Grape Vine, Jack Daniels, cherry and apple.

If using chunks I place some around the lump that has not light yet - hoping they will smoke throughout the cook.

If chips and a long cook I will make 3 or 4 foil tubs. Take some foil and form a tub about 3 or 4 inches long and 2 inches wide. I put some soaked wood chips in the tub and add some water. Roll up the foil and then poke some fork holes in the top. One of the tubs will have dry chips in it.

I place dry chips throughout the lump then place the 'loaded tubs' on the lump as flat as possilbe. I want the water to evaporate then the wood to dry and start smoking.

I usually get pretty consistant smoke during the cook.

For chips I am going to get some sheet tin, bend it to make a flat shoot so I can get some chips in under the plate setter once the egg is going.

GG