Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket flat timing

wannabebackinTexas
wannabebackinTexas Posts: 162
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I pulled a 4lb flat out of the freezer for this weekend. This flat is the remaining piece of a whopper I egged over the 4th of July.

I know the temps I need, but am unsure about the time. An overnighter is not needed and I don't think I need more than 8 hours. Any thoughts?

Good eggin'
-Paul

Comments

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    I can't offer much help on the brisket but I'm sure there's someone who can. I've only done a couple of flats. They were good but I don't rightly remember what I did to make 'em good.

Meanwhile, I just wanted to point out that there's a Coop Party going on October 4th, a great excuse to come back to Texas. And it's all downhill from where you are. Yes, we try to make it easy to get here LOL...

Check out the Coop Party Blog:

http://chickencoopparty.blogspot.com/

Sure would be a nice change of weather for you.

Spring "Head'em Up And Move'em Down" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • 1.5 hours / lb is a good starting point for brisket, so plan on cooking your four pounder for 6-7 hours at a dome temp of 220ish. Don't forget to leave it time to rest when you pull it.

enjoy!

-John
  • I'd love to get down to the 'Coop' in October. And, the 1920 mile trip wouldn't be that bad downhill. It's the uphill trip that concerns me! I'll toast ya'll on the 4th form the patio.

We're planning a trip in April to the home base. May be in the neighborhood. I'll let ya know.........

Good eggin'
    -Paul
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    I think 8 hours is good, add hour for cooler time. that way if done early, more time in cooler. With the size, I recommend foiling the flat when it hits the plateau, maybe add a little broth or something to help with tenderness and moistness. T
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Thanks!

Good eggin'
    -Paul
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    at 225/235 it could still go 10 if you dont foil it, it still needs time to break down regardless off size. with one that small i would definatly have a foil and liquid stage though which will quicken things. my rule is no smaller than a 7 pounder on a flat.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    The chances of a "flat" drying out with purely lo-n-slo is very high. After an internal temp of 160, put the "flat" in foil, raise the dome to 275-300 and cook until internal is 195-205 or passes the fork test. The whole thing should take