Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Plate Setter vs Woo2 at eggaccessories.com

Options
MopCop
MopCop Posts: 21
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Greetings Everyone

As a newbee to the Egghead Forum, I am impressed with all the assistance and experience one can gain from this forum.

I purchased a Large that I have had for a couple of weeks. I lurked on the forum and found many ideas and used the experience of other Eggheads to prepare the best Ribeye's I have ever had (Better than any Steakhouse). First Cook: 2" Ribeye's @ 650, 4 minutes each side & 4 minutes vent's closed (Medium Well).

I have a place setter on back order but noticed that some others on the forum have chosen a Woo2, Adjustable Rig, Spider etc. http://www.eggaccessories.com/woo2_large.html

The web site for the Woo2 is impressive.

Can anyone on the forum provide their experience or preference of a Place Setter or the Woo2 or other options at the eggaccessories web site?

Thanks,

Chet
:)

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    i have both and use both.

I prefer the adjustable rig/spider combo. They give a lot more options and flexibility.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    The plate setter does perform a function the adj rig &/or woo2 does not. It acts as a heat barrier for low/slo cooks. Like Fidel, many guys have and use both. In fact, I use one or the other on most every cook.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    I have 2 plate setters that I use mainly for pizza and the spider & rig for most other cooks. Both are nice but the rig has so many options and levels to work with.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    True. I use the pizza stone on the spider, then a foil wrapped pizza pan for a drip pan on a grid at the fire ring level, then the rig and my meats.

This particular setup works great for me...YMMV.

The platesetter is essential to me for baking and pizzas. I think both implements are good to have in the arsenal.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    It's tough to guess what will work best for you, I think everyone has their own preference for equipment. It's good that you are taking a good look at what's available.

I can tell you that I've had sandbagger rings in both my Eggs for 2-1/2 years...(it was the early version of what is now the Woo). I enjoy the option of cooking direct several inches higher in my Eggs. I really like that height for chicken and sausages. Prior to making them, I had used a BGE grate extender clipped to the grate to get that height. The downside to that set-up was having to clean both the grate and the extender.

When I got my large Egg, it came with a plate setter, so I am accustomed to using it.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Normally I would suggest, forget the setter and get the adjustable rig/spider and after using it think about getting a pizza stone. This setup is more $$ than a setter.

After Fidel's comment I got to thinking about cooking pizza it is nice to have the plate setter, some space then the stone.

I guess I need to try making some pizza on a raised grid and the pizza stone only.

But that is part of the fun, trying different setups and tasting the food.

The spider has many uses. Normall position is down and vry close to the lump, but if you use inverted it is a great accessory.

I use the spider normal position to sear foods or sear meat in the Dutch Oven then I turn the spider over and use it to finish off the dutch oven cook.

GG
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    I have both a platesetter and the Adjustable rig. In fact I have three of each.

Each has a great use. I use my plater setters for baking. cooking with my dutch ovens and single layer cooks. I use the adjustable rig for multi-tier cooking and when I need a raised grid.

I use the spider when I use my WOK in my egg.

Bottom Line: They both have a purpose and both are invaluable.
  • Ar-Cee
    Ar-Cee Posts: 105
    Options
    I started with the plate setter and it works well for indirect inverted with drip pan and grid. It is brilliant with a pizza stone for baking. It limits you to a single grid at a single height.

I then added the spider and AR with all the bells and whistles. With the AR and Spider I can cook multilevels and add or take off food by just pulling a rack.

Indirect with the AR is easy. A pizza stone on the spider controls the direct heat. Adding a drip pan to either the first or second setting on the AR is the second direct heat trap. Using the 16" pizza pan from eggaccessories as a drip pan virtually allows you to use your whole available grid as indirect.

I can still go three racks from the drip pan (using the extender) and always use at least two levels for cooking. My top level (on the extender) is reserved for my veggie pan. I throw it on top of the meat racks using the extender and time it out to finish with the meats.

Which is better? I want them both. thanks rc