Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Making Bread

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello,[p]Perhaps you can help me, I have tried on several occassions to bake country style bread in my oven.[p]I have followed the receipes to the letter.[p]Live in Dallas, not sure if the altitutde or humidity has an effect.[p]Here's my question, after the bread has risen 2 - 3 fold, I gently deflate the bread and prepare it to rise the second time, prior to baking the bread. When I knead the bread into a ball,then into an oval, and let it rise for the second time, the bread rises, but to the sides and does not rise upward?[p]How do I get the bread to rise in a uniform oval and not from side to side, (leaving the bread somewhat flat)?[p]In advance, thank you for your comments and sugestions.

Comments

• Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    Options
    Malone,[p]Not knowing the bread that you're baking and its recipe, I'll venture to guess that you're overproofing the dough. This can occur during the first or second rise.[p]You state "after the bread has risen 2 - 3 fold" and my question to you is "what is it, 2 fold or 3 fold?" Bread baking requires adherence to a formula, dough shaping technique, and proper fermentation (rising). I'm glad to help, but a little more detail would be beneficial.[p]Finally, are using a wicker basket of some kind for final shaping?[p]Puj
  • Zip
    Zip Posts: 372
    Options
    Puj,[p]I couldn't have said it better myself..........[p]Ashley
  • Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    Options
    Zip,[p]I hear ya, and I must have a little chuckle myself since I didn't follow my own advice at Eggtoberfest yesterday. During the bake of the potato/cheddar/chives sourdough I ventured out into the crowd for some eats instead of watching the bread. The result was a beautifully charred bottom at one end of both loaves. Fortunately the charred portion was easily sliced away and both loaves were salvaged.[p]Wish you could have made it,
    Puj