Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Roast Beef

Cecil
Cecil Posts: 771
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Going to Costco today and my son asked for roast beef, I like alot of things about Costco but not their deli roast beef. I have some time today and thought I would make my own.

WHat cut of meat?
any suggestions or links to those that have done them would be great.

Thanks,
Walt

Comments

• Boxerpapa
    Boxerpapa Posts: 989
    I haven't made it yet, but I've been told to use eye of the round for deli-style roast beef. Then slice really thin with a food slicer.
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Rump roast or sirloin roast is what I buy. Rump has a little more fat and flavor. Sirloin a little more like tenderloin. I roast with a little hickory smoke until 135 internal. Chill and slice thin across the grain, delicious deli meat made right at home.
    BGEBrinedRumpRoast11_06003.jpg
    IMG_4917.jpg
  • Cecil
    That looks really good Clay. Just what I was looking for. I tend to get confused when it comes to cuts of beef. Thanks.

Walt
  • emilluca
    emilluca Posts: 673
    Whole Sirloin Tip would work also. It is the large muscle next to the round and at the tip of the sirloin.
    E
  • Clay Q, Can you give us more detail on your cook? Temp/Time/prep, etc. It looks great and I have to make that Satuday.
    Bone Daddy's Competition BBQ & Catering
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Cecil,

Clay Q's roast looks fantastic, but this cook is not intended to make that type of deli roast.

Here is another take on the Pot Roast. I am not too particular on what cut of meat I use, just a big hunk of meat at a cheap price. I usually end up with some cut of Rump Roast at about $1.80/lb.

I will make a pot roast with potato vegetables’ and gravy with hopefully a good portion as left over’s for sandwiches. The meat usually turns out so good it will all but melt in your mouth.

I mostly use my Dutch Oven but this will also work in disposable aluminum warming pan.

If you want the recipe let me know and I will post it or email it to you.

This is a very simple cook.

First the sear
    doroast1.jpg

Put in the vegies
    droast2.jpg

Let the egg and DO do its magic
    doroast3.jpg

You can stop here for sandwiches
    doroast5.jpg

Or, continue on for the dinner
    doroast6.jpg

I make a lot of gravy and cook some baker potatoes also
    doroast7.jpg

Enjoy,

GG
  • kent, I may have your recipe at my home office , but would you mine posting it here again. Looks great, family loves pot roast! JD
  • Grandpas Grub
    JD,

At first look this recipe seems involved, rather it is a very simple cook and hard to mess up.

The how too's... Topless (no lids allowed) DO Pot Roast.

The following is a great Dutch Oven (D0) pot roast recipe OR fantastic for making sub sandwiches. There are notes at the end for changes when making sub’s.

The egg makes it all that much better.

1 boneless chuck-eye roast apx. 3 ½ pounds ( I don’t worry too much about the cut but I try to get a large piece)
    2 tsp vegetable oil
    1 medium onion, chopped (up to 3 onions see note)
    6 red potatoes quartered (or baker potatoes)
    2 medium garlic cloves, minced or pressed
    1 cup low-sodium chicken broth ( I use as needed see note)
    1 cup low-sodium beef broth ( I use as needed see note)
    1 small celery rib, chopped medium
    1 sprig fresh thyme ( or 1/2 tsp thyme)
    1 small carrot, chopped medium (2 or 3 see note)
    2 tsp sugar
    1 – 1 ½ cup water
    ¼ cup dry red wine (optional – I don’t use) I use more broth

Note: If there is enough room in my DO I will add more onion, potatoes, carrots and more chicken & beef broth in equal amounts. The veggies will be as good as the finished roast and will add great flavor to the resulting gravy or juice depending on what you decide to make.

Pat meat dry with paper towels
    Salt (natural or kosher) and ground pepper (as fresh as you can get) generously.

Put DO on egg (or stove top). Heat the oil (not to smoke point) and brown the meat on all sides apx 7 minutes each side. At times I will sear the meat I like the ‘goodies’ in the bottom of the DO which will add great flavor in the cook.

Transfer the meat to a plate and set aside. Your egg should be about 300° grid (or stabilized dome at about 330°) the grate temp is what’s important here.

Put the DO on the egg. You may need to add a little more vegetable oil or (EVOO) to the pan. Add the onions, carrots and potatoes to the DO. Cook with some occasional stirring for about 7 minutes – soften the vegies. Push the mix away from a spot in the center of the pan.

Add the sugar and garlic to the bare spot with continuous stirring for about 30 seconds – we don’t want the garlic/sugar to burn. Add some of the chicken/beef broth and thyme. Scrape the bottom of the DO with a wooden spoon to loosen those browned bits.

Add the roast to the DO add enough chicken, beef broth & water up to the center of the meat. All veggies should be covered with the liquid. You will have pre judge to see how many veggies to add and brown in the previous step.

Your egg setting is set to maintain 300° at the grid level, don’t play with the vents as it is going to take some time for the egg to bring the liquid up to our desired 300°. We do not want the mixture boiling just a simmer (almost but not boiling).

At any point add your flavor wood if you are going to use it, I like cherry. Do not lid the DO.

The following takes me about 5 to 6 hours to complete.

Cook for about 1 hour. Making sure you are not at a boil and the liquid is still at about ½ way up the meat. Grid temp at 300° If you feel you need to, you can turn the meat. Check the liquid level and let cook another hour. Turn the roast and let cook another hour.

Now at the 3 hour point.

Check liquid levels and meat temp – don’t panic here as you can’t over cook with this method. At this point begin to pay more attention to the meat temps.

We want to get the meat to a target meat temp of 210° and to cook at that temp for 1 hour for me this takes another 1 to 3 hours. The time is not all that critical, it is critical to let the meat get to 210° and cook for an hour.

You can begin to check the meat tenderness at any time. We are looking for it to be very easy to insert a fork or knife in the meat with very little or no resistance. The meat will literally cut with a spoon.

When done remove the DO from the egg (leave vent settings alone for now unless you want to complete over the stove). Pull the meat and set aside, tent or wrap in AF depending on eat time.

Remove the veggies from the DO they will be extremely soft and flavorful. Now while the liquid is warm add S&P to taste. Let the liquid sit for awhile and spoon off any grease (I seldom find much grease).

What you do from here will depend on what your cooking intent is.

For gravy, use a roux (mix warm water to corn starch or flour) then add the roux to the liquid to make gravy. You will need to bring the entire mixture to a boil to thicken so keep stirring so you don’t burn the liquid.

OR if making sandwiches/subs:

S&P to taste and keep cooking to reduce the liquid to get a very rich and flavorful taste for the subs. You may want to thicken the liquid a little with a roux to give some body to the juice.

Notes for making subs…
    For vegetables use more onions (4 or 5) & slice, no potatoes, carrots 1 and dice small, celery 1 rib and dice very small or cut in 3rds and remove and toss when pulling the meat.

I will leave it to you on how you want to build the sandwich other than to say if you want less of a soggy bun use mayo or butter as a moisture barrier for the liquid in the meat. If you want soggy sandwich’s then add more juice as the bread will have a tendency to take the moisture out of the meat.

S&P the onion (veggies) to taste before building sandwich’s. Use a good amount of your favorite cheese mozzarella mixed with other cheeses is great.

The juice will add great flavor to the sub.

Enjoy.

GG
  • Kent: Thanks alot, have copied and sent to my email! JD
  • Cecil
    Kent, thanks, this is one for a (hopefully) cool October Sunday (Titans away game). I ended up getting 2 eye of round 6# total, as Costco had no rump. This is 1st try and will do some garlic powder and John Henry Pecan and cook slow with apple and pecan chunks and chips. If nothing else we should be able to eat some good sammies that have not been processed.

Walt
  • Grandpas Grub
    Cecil,

thirdeye has some great techniques and recipes on his site, Playing With Fire and Smoke and covers cooking 'hunks of meat'.

Here is the link. http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/

GG
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    My beef roast for sandwiches is very easy to cook.
    This is a slow roasting type of cook. The beef cooks better at lower temps with more even doneness across the thickness of the roast. Think prime rib without searing.

3 to 5 pound Rump or Sirloin tip roast, larger if you need more beef.
    Setup; Egg at 300-325 dome, V rack over a drip pan and this goes on the grid. 3 small chunks of hickory or a handfull of hickory chips for smoke.

Season beef with Dizzy Pig spice, your choice what flavor and place the meat in the V rack and set it in the egg over the drip pan.

After 30 minutes have gone by add a little more smokin chips, if you like, and also insert a temp probe into the thickest part of the roast. Set the probe to 135 for medium pink.

Continue roasting until the meat hits 135 degrees and your done. Rest 15 minutes and slice thin across the gain for a delicious beef dinner and save a nice chunk for slicing the next day for sandwiches.

Options;
    Marinate 5 hours before you cook. Italian style is good.

Brine the beef 3 days in a light seasoned brine for extra juicy and flavorful beef. 1 cup kosher salt per gallon spring water is my ratio, then add spice.

Clay
  • To many choices...why can't there be more time to cook...
    Bone Daddy's Competition BBQ & Catering
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    this one is a rump roast, if you dont like it too fatty which a rump definatly has some fat, lean towards a top loin roast. both have a great roast beef deli flavor. i cook them for ice out fishing every spring and a 10 pounder plus only lasts a couple days between about 4 of us.

fbe40804.jpg
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • You sir are a man after my own heart.

Damn that looks like fine roast.
  • Cecil
    BTW, it turned out great. I am looking forward to a rump next time.
    I have wanted a meat slicer for some time now, making this has been no help as far as curbing my desire for one.

Walt