Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

DigiQ II issues

Options
MN_Chuck
MN_Chuck Posts: 26
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have had the DigiQ for about 6 weeks and did a couple long slow / low cooks (pit at 225) and it worked OK.

Yesterday I cooked a 20 lb turkey on a Lg BGE - I set the DigiQ pit to 320 degrees (range 32 - 425 within 2 deg per book).

The 1st thing that happened was the pit got up to 380 and the HI alarm went off, I got the pit to settle down and everything was looking good holding at 320 - the 10 cfm blower would come on every now and then. The food probe was in the beast of the turkey and was reading 160 after a couple of hours, Then after another the food probe was reading 180 - so I checked the meat with a Thermapen and it read 150 - then I read the meat temp with a polder and it said 150. I tried resetting the food probe by unplugging and plugging back in - this did not help. So I hooked a polder to the meat, thinking that the food probe was bad. After a couple of more hours I noticed the meat was now at 174 and the dome temp was 250 - the DigiQ pit said it was 320.
After a little while the BGE dome temp was 225 and the DigiQ said 320 - so I increased the pit to 350 - the blower started and I thought it was OK. So after about a hour the dome temp fell to 200 and the DigiQ said 350 - I opened the lid and the fire was out.

I tested the probes this morning with boiling water and the pit probe got close within 10 degrees and the food probe was the same within 10 degrees.

I am not sure if it is working properly or not. What is going on with the DigiQ?

Sorry for the long post.

Chuck in northern MN

Comments

• Buster Dog BBQ
    Options
    where did you clip the temp probe in the egg? Was the GE thermometer poking the turkey? Did you have wood chunks?
  • Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Options
    I'm sure some of us would have the information you need. If it were me, I'd go straight to the source. Here is the link.

http://www.thebbqguruforums.com/
  • MN_Chuck
    MN_Chuck Posts: 26
    Options
    I did send the BBQ Guru's techsupport an email. Have not heard back yet. I thought the real experts hang out here. Later I am going to try calibrating the DigiQ (had to make some ice 1st).

Chuck
  • BBQ Bob Trudnak
    Options
    There are alot of questions to be asked here to trouble shoot this cook. Give me a call when you have a minute and we can solve your problems. For example, Where was the pit probe in proximity to your dome thermometer? Was the pit stable at 320°F when you put the bird on? 20 lbs of cold meat will cause your probe to sense cooler temps and your fan will run more to get the temp back up. Were you probing the bird in the same spot with all of your various meat probes?

Bob Trudnak
    The BBQ Guru