Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Who has a XL Egg??

flbache
flbache Posts: 3
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was wondering if there is anyone here who has the XL Egg, and if so how do you like it? I know it's huge, but I really want one really bad, problem is that is it worth it and should I just get the Large Egg instead? Any input would be appreciated.

I have been shopping for a while for one. Unfortunately no one near me has one, so I guess I am going to have to go to NOVA or Richmond to find one.

Later,
Lee

Comments

• Ashman
    Ashman Posts: 375
    They don't call it the Big Green egg for nothing. If you can do it on large, you can do more on a XL. :P

Liv'n XL in Jax
    Gordon
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    flbache,

You will probably get a lot of response to this. I have both and my honest opinion is XL = great, Large = great.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Geo
    Geo Posts: 53
    21251.jpg

Xl works great for large cuts or long cooks e.g. shoulder, brisket, ribs or a mess of chicken. I prefer the Large for steaks , burgers, fish and other food that do not require as much time or room.
  • Got an XL and it's outstanding

Got a small and it's outstanding

Little Steven said it best - XL = great, Large = Great.
    I would add - no Egg = bad. Large and small is good combo and XL and small is good combo.

101_2902800x600-1.jpg

We're cooking on both tonight.

Planked Salmon
    Shrimp
    Tuna steaks
    Asparagus
    Corn on the Cob
    Garlic bread
    seared peaches

Geaux Get One.
  • About 3 months ago I had the same dilemma. I finally choose the XL over the Large because I host family events up to 14 people. I don't have any other eggs to use so everything much fit on the XL. Because I purchased the XL; I didn't have enough money to purchase many extras. I have made do using drip pans and the V Rack but really want a plate setter to increase the height available to use while cooking. For example, 2 weeks ago I did 14 lbs of Pork butt (2 roasts) and a 12 lb beer can turkey all at once. It barely fit because the bird needed to be in the highest part of the dome to fit.
    I would lean towards a large and get some of the extras. You can feed many people using racks. That is what I would do if I did it over again.
    Either unit will do great for you!

BTW the Turkey was best I have ever tasted...

Happy Egging
    JFE
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    I recently got an XLG. It was a hard decision what size to buy. However, many of my brothers and sisters live nearby and I have to feed frequent crowds, so I selected the XLG. I also enjoy ribs, so the XLG is great for ribs. I'm just happy to have an egg, no matter what size! I am still getting used to using it.

eenie meenie
  • Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    I got one and I love it. Going to add a MED to keep it company soon.

Steak005.jpg
  • Lee,
    I was in a similar situation 3 months ago. I chose an XL. After reading and cooking a heck of a lot, I wish I had logged on to this forum sooner. I should have purchased a LG and a SMALL or MEDIUM.
    Tonight I did two different dishes and wished I had two different temps.
    I have a bad trait wanting hte biggest or the best and it was to my detriment this time.
    BTW, I have ordered a small

Rick
  • TNmike
    TNmike Posts: 643
    I have an XL and small. I'm suprised at the responses to this post, usually it's about 90% + for the large. Usually hear XL uses too much fuel/lump, can have large and small for about the same cost, no accessories for the XL, etc. I don't regret buying my XL :) I've got the extra space when I want/need it. If I only want to cook a couple of steaks, I just fire up the back half for the sear and then move to the front to finish, don't have to remove and then bring the temp down to finish the cook. I don't think you will be wrong with whatever you choose. ;) TNmike
  • I have the L and my buddy has a L and XL. His L gets 70% of the use. He would say get a lg and sm, I think that is what many would say on this site. I say get anyone and you will love it.
    Bone Daddy's Competition BBQ & Catering
  • I have the XLG, 1st EGG and went thru the same questions as you. I am glad I got the X. It will take me some time to get the hang of cooking on it, but I think that would be with any size.

I can throw a full brisket on with no problem, can't do that with a Large.

If I need to cook different things I will pull out my Weber Kettle or my UDS. No Problem!

As to the comments of using more Lump, I don't think there is that much of a difference, sure it will take more to load it up and maybe burn a little extra but to me that is minor, lump is cheap.

What ever you get you will do well. Just remember this, for the 1st 4-6 cooks keep it below 450º, it seems to let the Gasket set-up! If not you could destroy the gasket, don't ask how I know!

89fbb5a6.jpg
  • I bought the XL back in April. I have been very happy with it overall. My only complaint is the way the platesetter sits in it. But you can certainly make it work for you and I would say that if you have a lot of folks you like to cook for, it can't hurt to get bigger and better. Of course if money is an issue, I'd get a Large and maybe try and pickup a DigiQ II, it has made bbq'ing a blast!

Regardless of what size you get I really doubt you'll be disappointed!

Enjoy,
    John
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Ditto That ;)

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    I have an XL Egg that, to date, has been 100% dedicated to baking breads, pizzas, calzones, etc. In the 22 months of service, this XL has proven to be a great alternative to a traditional brick oven (half the cost of building a brick oven in my neighborhood, no homeowner association meddling, and we will take it with us on our next move). I let our Eggs deliver all other foods.

You just need to figure out the cooking capacity that you want, and how much you want to spend. I own 4 Eggs, and over the years they were purchased in this order - large, small, mini, xl.

Have fun with your purchase.

Puj
  • JB
    JB Posts: 18
    Mike, what were you making with the Egg that hot...steel? Man that thing ripping! :)

My only complaint, and I'm still a relatively new user, is that when cooking direct, there are hot spots that make it tough to cook a full grill load evenly. Any thoughts or suggestions? Maybe I need to use multiple starters, or move the charcoal around after it's been lit a while...

JB
  • JB
    JB Posts: 18
    That's awesome! I guess I've been afraid to this point to get it that hot, but that's definitely the way to go for steaks. At that temp, how long per side for medium? 2 min?
  • Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    I think that was a TRex. Probably 90 seconds per side.then take them off for 20 min, and lower the temp to 400. Back on for 3-4 min per side until 125 internal.

Steak021.jpg

Here is the link for the Trex Method.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/trexsteak.htm