Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pineapple Pulled Pork Blog

Options
Keithww
Keithww Posts: 62
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My wife does a family blog and today she published picks of my pineapple pulled pork. They turned out pretty good, the pork and the blog.

http://woodworthfamily.blogdrive.com/

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Never occurred to me to use molasses as the "slather." Seems like a great way to keep the rub sticking on. Have you used molasses for any other meats?
  • Keithww
    Options
    I use the theory that pork likes sweet, and chicken and beef like spicy, so I've only used it on pork.
  • EGGLANDS BEST
    Options
    would mind if i asked for your recipe how much of each did you use i want to do two butts tomorrow for saturday
  • ILL--EGGER
    ILL--EGGER Posts: 478
    Options
    That looks fantastic and I also love the idea of molasses on the outside. And the idea of pineapple/teriyaki pulled pork is just awsome. Thanks for shareing.
  • Fluffyb
    Fluffyb Posts: 1,815
    Options
    Looks fantastic. A different kind of flavor. A beautiful family too!
  • Keithww
    Options
    Ok, first I'm a old style cook, I don't measure unless I'm baking. Second what I like may be a bit different then other people, so vary to taste.

Marinade
    2 Pork Butts Trimmed
    1/2 Large can of pineapple juice
    1 1/2 Cups teriyaki marinade from Costco
    2 Tablespoons of fresh minced Garlic
    3 Tablespoons of fresh ground ginger.

First take the two butts and do a little trimming, not to heavy, but remove all the easy pieces of fat. Then I make my vacuum bag and pour in the pineapple juice and teriyaki. I will use straight teriyaki if that is what I have on hand. Then add the Garlic and ginger. I often add a good dark beer like Shinner Bock, but this was for church, so I left it out. Put the meat in the bag and seal. Put in fridge for 20+ hours.

Rub
    1 Cups Turbino Sugar
    1/2 Cup Kosher Salt
    1/2 teaspoon Chili power (to taste for just the family I would have used more)
    1 teaspoons Onion Powered
    1 teaspoons ground ginger
    1 1/2 teaspoons allspice
    1 teaspoon of fresh ground black pepper
    1 bottle of backstrap molasses

Once the fire is ready to get started, take the pork out of the fridge and set it on the counter. After the fire is started, take the pork out of the bags and reserve the liquid. Place the pork in your carrying vessel of choice, I use SS 9 by 13's it is easy to clean and keep germ free. Go out and check on the fire, no real hurry here. Once the fire is ready, pour on enough molasses to give the butts a good covering. use a shaker or a slotted spoon to cover the butts with the rub.

Fill the drip pan with water, I use a 2 inch deep 14 inch pizza pan. Place the pork on the grill and cook per the standard low and slow method, I do shoot for 220 and and a little longer that the standard 250 degrees. Let rest and then pull.

Take the liquid and add a little molasses and corn starch. Bring to a simmer in a very large pot and reduce by half. This mixture will boil over very easily as the bubbles have a long half life, so lots of head room in the pot is very important.
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    Keithww wrote:
    My wife does a family blog and today she published picks of my pineapple pulled pork. They turned out pretty good, the pork and the blog.

http://woodworthfamily.blogdrive.com/

checked out your blog and that is cool. the old camper from your vacation pictures made me drool! I have two a 10 foot '56 and a 12 foot '61. I would love to have that one to restore! LOL