Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

brisket drying out twice

Options
traif boy
traif boy Posts: 20
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am a novice with xl geen egg. Here is what i did twice and my brisket both times was very dry. Purshased a packered cut brisket. heat the egg to 235.used the indirect place setter. Placed grill on top of plate setter. Put brisket on grill let tempature in meat to 160 (6-7 hours). Than wrapped in foil and let tempature go to 190. Pulled off grill and let sit in ice cooler with no ice for 1 hour and than cut. Both times brisket was very dry. I have tried calibrating the egg termomator in boiling water which it read about 212. used a external meat prob from william senoma. Any ideas would be great

Peter

Comments

• Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Options
    Sounds like you did everything right. May have just been bad meat? Did you get a Choice cut or better?

Might want to take temps in the thin section of the flat? That section will finish first. I will separate the flat from the point once the flat reaches 190 and goes into the cooler, then the point goes back on for another 2 hours or so.

Check out these two sites, I found these really helped when cooking brisket.

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/03/brisket.html

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/brisketselect.html
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    I cooked mine the same way you cooked yours...except when I foil my brisket I put enough BBQ sauce on the flat to cover it. The heat of the brisket while wrapped in the foil makes the bbq sauce permeate the cooked meat. They have turned out very moist and then I spoon the bbq sauce juice over the cut brisket when serving...
  • civil eggineer
    Options
    I also wonder about the quality of the meat. When I do brisket, indirect at 250 dome until 185 internal temp (no foiling) it is normally so juicy you need to refrigerate it before it can be cut without falling apart. Maybe I have just been lucky.
  • cook a butt...i've always had bad luck with briskets but really good luck w/ butts
  • Ar-Cee
    Ar-Cee Posts: 105
    Options
    I was going to ask about the weight and trim of your brisket but in re-reading your post saw that it was a full Packer Trim. I would still be curious about your starting weight. thanks rc
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    I had this problem when I did my first few briskets, the problem was the probe was in the wrong place, when you are hitting 190, remove the probe & put it in a few different places, it is likely that the temp is closer to 170 which would account for the dryness (as the meat isn't finished yet). You can also dispense with the probe alltogether & go by feel, you will eventually smoke enough of these things that you'll know by time/size when you are nearing the end, then you can open the egg & stick a fork in it to check for doneness.
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania