Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hawaiian Pulled Pork Questions

Options
Keithww
Keithww Posts: 62
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've got 4 pork butts sitting in vacuum seal bags with pineapple juice and teriyaki, with a little ginger and garlic. I plan on putting them on about 10 tonight and serving them tomorrow night for a church group dinner. Anyone have and advice on whether or not to try a glaze? I've done a low and slow brisket and two pulled pork butts, but never with a glaze. I use a drip pan and just got a 2" deep 14" pizza pan to use as a pan for this cook, I'll fill that with water for this cook.

Thanks,

Comments

• Sun Devil Brett
    Options
    I've only done butts with a rub or a mustard slather then a rub, never a glaze. Sounds intresting with the pineapple and teriyaki. Let us know how it turns out.
  • DynaGreaseball
    Options
    Man! How could a glaze be wrong? How would you make it? Reduce some of the drippings with pineapple juice or...? Sounds wonderful. Maybe big chunks of pulled pork instead of shredded or chopped...what they call sliced around here. Sure hope you show us what you did.
  • DynaGreaseball
    Options
    I got my subscription to Cooks today. There's several quick glaze recipes in this month's issue for grilled chicken.

Apricot-mustard
    Hoisin-sesame
    Indonesian Peanut
    and
    Barbecue

Maybe there's something in there that will give you some ideas.
  • Rick's Tropical Delight
    Options
    welllll... you really won't need the water in the drip pan in the egg. but if you must, go ahead. i don't use any liquid in the drip pan and elevate the pan off the plate setter with short spacers

based on my experience, that's a little early to start those for a 6 pm dinner the next day. at 250 dome, those should take around 14 hours or so max and then you can hold them in a cooler foiled wrapped in towels for around 4-5 hours. no wait... doing the math that looks about right. if you plan to hold them for a long time, pull them off a little earlier at maybe 190-195 because they will continue to cook in the cooler

i'd use your glaze as a sauce after you pull the butts

that sounds like a great start... post the pix!
  • civil eggineer
    Options
    I agree with Rick about not using water in the drip pan. I have found all it does is suck an enormous amount of heat during cooking. The egg keeps moisture in the meat using magic. Don't mess with the mag :blink: ic!
  • Keithww
    Options
    Several reasons to start so early, one is the dinner is a go 30 to 40 minutes away, and I want to do the pulling at home and place a couple of 9x13 heaping with meat in a preheated cooler. So I figure that I pull the meat, let it rest, pull it, and put it back in the cooler. It will still be plenty warm for dinner at 6PM. The other main reason is, keep the dome closer to 230 than 250, So if I pull the pork at 16 to 17 hours or 2 or 3 PM, let it rest till 4, spend some time pulling it, leave the house at 5 It should be a a pretty good serving temp. That also gives me a little time to speed it up and raise the dome to 250 if I'm running a little slow.

I will get the wife to take pictures.
  • Keithww
    Options
    The other reason to start early. It was a lot closer to 11PM than 10PM when the egg came back up to 220 Deg. Things always take longer than planned, so I plan to start early.
    I took the marinade from one of the bags and boiled it for 30 minutes and reduced it by about 30%, then I added a little corn starch and boiled it for another 10 minute. Then I strained it to get the garlic and ginger pieces out and put it in a quart mason jar. So I have a quart of that reduction in the fridge, tomorrow I will give it a taste and decided if it needs anything else.
    The DW took lots of pics and will most likely post a blog entry on Sunday. I will post a link once it is out.