Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Royal Oak Lump

KC
KC Posts: 91
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Which major retailers carry Royal Oak lump (USA)? I used to get mine from the Lowe's near my home but they stopped carrying the lump and now only have briquettes.

I'm out and have to make a coal run....

Comments

• Nardi513
    Nardi513 Posts: 66
    I get my RO at Walmart, may have to call since it seems to be up to the manager if they carry it. We have a couple by me but only one has it.
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Where you located?

Mike
  • KC
    Birmingham, AL
  • KC
    Thanks for the info. There are 2 Wal-Mart's within 3-4 miles of me. Thanks!
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    If you can't locate it at Walmart, check Ace Hardware, they can usually order it.

Google Kroger and look at their owned chains, any of those stores have or can order Kroger Lump which is Royal Oak. We can get it at Smith Food King Grocery (subsidary of Kroger).

Do-It-Best has RO on line but it isn't RO when you receive it. They haven't updated their web site. There are a lot of lumber yards that can order Do-It-Best items. I have two bags which I learned were not RO when received. The lump is Argentine and is smaller bags. I am waiting to test it to see if I want to even use it. I am expecting sparky lump.

GG
  • Meat
    Meat Posts: 233
    I live just south of Baltimore, MD and was getting my RO at WalMart near me. Went in tonight to pick up some english muffins to make some sammiches from from the leftover Jimmy Dean Maple flavored fattie from yesterday and grabbed the last three bags on the shelf. Talked to a manager and was told "What's on the shelf is all we got. Have to make room for seasonal (Halloween) items". Now I'm bummed. They just built a Super WalMart near us but that one doesn't carry RO. Why can't Halloween come later in the year. At least I could have stocked up.
  • civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    Menards carries RO in my area.
  • FrankC
    FrankC Posts: 416
    I have 4 Menards near me, but only one carries ROUSA. I've stocked up on 30+ bags. The manager told me that they keep it in stock year round, so hopefully, I'll have a steady supply. I got taken in by the Do It Best, but got the Argentina instead. Oh well, live and learn.
  • MAC
    MAC Posts: 442
    If you have a Gordons Food Service in your area they carry it. It might be "private labeled" under their namd but it is Royal Oak.
  • tomo
    tomo Posts: 78
    Last Thursday I went to what I thought was the only
    Walmart to stock RO in the Salt Lake area. It is a seasonal item and I wanted to stock up for the winter. It is a distance from my home and I was disappointed to find only 2 bags. I got some assistance and she told me that was the inventory for the season, but she did one more thing. It was an electronic gadget that enabled her to get the inventory of the Walmarts in the valley. She found one that had 31 bags left that was actually closer to my home. I went and stocked up and we are set until next spring. For those in the SLC area, it was the Walmart on Fort Union and when I left they had 24 bags....tom
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    tomo,

Thanks for letting us know. I called and went out to a lot of the WM's and no one had any RO or a sku for it. I will stop by the Ft. Union store and pick some up.

I called RO and was led to there private label Kroger brand. Smith Food King out here. The Smith's on 54th and 7th W. had it on the shelf and the manager said there should be no problem for them to order it whenever I needed some. Delivery should take about a week.

How long have you had your egg/eggs and what part of the Wasatch Front are you located?

I have been trying to talk the dealer on 7300 S. & 13th W. to have a mini egg fest or at least a small cooking event going.

GG
  • tomo
    tomo Posts: 78
    We have had the BGE for a couple of years now. Love it. Had some health problems and have not been that busy this year, but have started up again. We are in Holladay. I was glad to find the RO as we were down to one bag and I know in our area, it is seasonal....tom