Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anybody brine your ribs?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Presently have some St Louis style ribs sitting in a homemade brine of beer/vinegar/apple juice/salt/brown sugar/salt/water. Was wondering if anybody else brines their ribs?

Comments

• Buckdodger
    Buckdodger Posts: 957
    Options
    I've never done it...let us know how they turn out.
    Bob
    Alex City, Al

Opelika, Alabama
  • emilluca
    emilluca Posts: 673
    Options
    I brine in Apple Juice only. Juicy Juice 100% juice Mad ein China scary but sure taste good.
    E
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Several years ago Cook's Illustrated had a recipe for baby backs that called for a 2 hour brine, I tried it and really didn't think it did anything for them. -RP
  • Fire Walker
    Fire Walker Posts: 241
    Options
    I use a brine of apple cider and lemon juice over night.
    FireWalker
  • dls2122
    dls2122 Posts: 66
    Options
    I've only made ribs once on my egg (2nd attempt tomorrow). I brined them overnight in apple cider since I'd read that somewhere. Then proceeded to over-cook them a little, but they were still moist. Don't know if they were moist because of the brine or would have been anyway since I have nothing to compare it too. However, I know I'm doing it again tonight. Then tomorrow I will place rub on them for a couple hours before putting them on the grill.

Good luck with yours.

Don
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Before getting the Egg, I often brined ribs to get as much moisture in them as possible, because the metal cookers were mostly too hot, and drove off the meat's moisture. The brining made a slight improvement. The improvement from brining ribs cooked on the Egg seems to me to be neglibable.

I do still marinade ribs on occassion. The flavors in the marinade seem to suffuse a piece of meat as thin as ribs.
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    I brine…
    An old timely way that my grandparents (they have been gone from life as we know it, for about thirty years now…thus the “old timely” comment) used during their lives. It seems to add nice moisture, even on the Egg, as I like to do a real low and slow when doing ribs.
    ½ C canning salt.
    ½ C. white sugar
    About 3 to 4 qts. Water
    This is the rule of thumb for about 4lbs. of good meaty ribs