Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Royal Oak - Wal-Mart

DynaGreaseball
DynaGreaseball Posts: 1,409
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Not sure if this has ever been resolved in here yet, but the rumor that Royal Oak isn't going to be carried by Wal-Mart anymore is just that...a rumor. The store manager at one of our stores in Charlotte checked it out with the buyers for me, and they know nothing of it being discontinued.

Guess I only need to buy 3 or 4 bags at a time now, instead of a pallet full. Hope that helps.

Comments

• I think it's up to the loacl manager. A Walmart I use in Nampa. Idaho has a pretty constant supply of RO. Other Walmarts around Boise don't even carry it at all.

Good eggin'
    -Paul
  • aaind
    aaind Posts: 235
    I just bought 10 bags because of the rumor ,But Menard has it around here also ,they have red and green bags
  • DynaGreaseball
    Very true about the discretion of the Manager. It was thought by some, however, that Royal Oak had pulled out of Wal-Mart altogether.
  • Hitch
    Hitch Posts: 402
    Up till now, I have used only BGE lump charcoal. Do I need to branch out? I love the amount of cook I get from the lump I currently use, and trust it cause it has the logo on the bag. I pay a premium I am sure, but what should I be doing? I do slo and lo often, pizzas, chicken, burgers, steaks, wings, and all sorts of appetizers very often.

Thanks in advance,
  • fieroguy
    fieroguy Posts: 777
    Royal Oak produces lump for Green Egg, and it's a lot cheaper (costs less, too).

Mike
    Wrens, GA
  • DynaGreaseball
    Same stuff...half the price. Try it, you'll like it.
  • aaind
    aaind Posts: 235
    Hitch its the same stuff ,bags are smaller but more handy
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    walked into a convenience store near my house the other day, one i'd never gone into before. quarter of a mile from my house, max. i spied a stack of royal oak right at the door. 20 pound bags. $12.95! cheapest i have ever seen it.

two seconds looking at the bag.... "Argentina"... crap.

has anyone (whiz) investigated this odd situation of dueling Royal Oak products, with their attendant wide-spread pricing?

seems odd they'd offer two products in virtually the same bag, at two different price points (the argentinian stuff is always cheaper, right?), without making any distinction.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    I buy the RO from rest depot for $6.99 for a 20# bag..yes it is Argentinian wood...it sparks & pops when being lit but other than that it smells good & cooks real good...for the price you can't beat it...
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    maybe i'll grab a bag. have just heard it's utter cr^p, though. it only sparks during lighting? what about searing (high temps)
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Fireball II
    Fireball II Posts: 213
    Stike, That a briquette plant in GA. I have a plant close to me that makes Hardwood Lump. Still hate to see any plant close in the USA be cause of imports. JD
  • emilluca
    emilluca Posts: 673
    WalMart Avon Indiana does not have a SKU for Royal Oak anymore. They did have it then marked it down and it is gone.
    I asked and they said they were not getting any more. I would expect they will add it back next spring I hope. It depends if Royal Oak meets thier price. I have 4 bags and that will last awhile.
    E
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Getting low on my last fall purchase of 300# of Royal Oak from wallyworld, I decided to stock up again about a month ago.

I went into 5 local wallmarts(WM) and was told WM didn't carry RO any longer. The panic was on because BGE lump (same as RO)out here costs up to $26/20# once in a while I could get it for $21/#20.

I put up a post, a month or two ago saying WM out here wasn't carrying RO. There were a few days of some posts from eggers around the country saying no it wasn't at WM and others saying there was plenty.

I decided to go to the source and called RO. Took 2 days of calling but I got hold of someone who could help me.

I was told RO was still in business and going strong.

I was tosd that as far as the RO rep WM is still able to get RO. I explained my problem (shared above). He said he would call me back.

Two days later I received another call from the RO rep. He has contacted the WM buyer and explanied my story (above). The WM rep said he would check into it and get back to the RO rep.

The RO rep gave me the WM buyer's name and number. I* decided to call the WM buyer. After 3 or 4 days I finally got a hold of Mike (WM). I explained the individual store managers were told their distribution centers did not carry RO and it was no longer available. The WM rep told me in a way, that is correct. Each individual WM, if approved (most stores are) can order RO directly from RO but it is the store manager's descression.

Thinking to myself this seemed odd that, that big of a chain, would allow some rogue transactions like that. Anyway, that is what I was told. The WM rep said he would check with out local stores to see if they were going to get any RO in and would get back to me.

Well, my situation wasn't importantant enough to WM for a follow up - which I can understand.

I called the RO rep back (also named Mike) and asked for outher sources and also asked if BGE lump was RO lump. Yes, BGE (USA) is packaged by RO. I also asked if there were other private labels. The RO rep was a little evasive on this question.

However, the RO rep said Korger is also RO. We have two different chains out here that carry Kroger one being Smiths Foods (owned by Kroger). Google Kroger and you will see all Krogers different chains.

For me for now, problem solved - I can get RO.

There is another source that states online they carry RO but when it is received it is not RO. For the life of me I can't remember the name but I have 2 bags outside. There was another post about this about a week ago. There are 3 words in the name - something like buy it rite - just guessing here.

This has gotten way too long...

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    some info for the newer folk and with regard to 'sparky' lump.

I had some RO (usa) I purchased last year. A few of the bags were pretty sparky when lighting with MAPP. MAPP burns so hot it does spark some but in this case it was like fireworks. I used a my first bag if Kroger (RO) yesterday and virtually no sparking at all.

RO Argentina always has sparked when lighting with MAPP/Propane. Not so much sparking when using cubes or oil/napkin.

For thos wondering my experience with Argentina is if lighting with MAPP, any high heat source, it will spark heavily. Using starting cubes or oil/napkin is not too much of a problem if any at all.

After the egg is stabilized and doing high temp cooks will result in sparking, the highter temp the more sparking.

I haven't have much problem with sparking if I cook under 450° dome temp.

Heavy sparking will produce soot on the food and around the outside of the egg. So just be careful and plan your lump and food cooks. Argentina lump with USA lump will of course result in some sparking/soot.

GG
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    That phoney RO was Do It Best which turned out to be BBQ Wood Flavors. Don't remember the hardware chain that sells Do It Best line....
    The Naked Whiz
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    I use the Argentinean RO Lump stike.

I get the large in the 800s and the mini well above that. I lights fast and burns clean. I also do not notice any greater ash production.

One thing I have found is that only some pieces are sparky when being lit. Assuming it is one of the species of hardwood used. If you find those that don't spark - no issues. Using the napkin method would be no issues either way.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    I don't have those issues and I have been through 10 bags of the Argentine lump. See my response to stike above.
  • Grandpas Grub
    "One thing I have found is that only some pieces are sparky when being lit"

I noticed that also, wondered it it was just me. Thanks for mentioning.

I have noticed mine spark some when I get to higher temps in the egg.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Thanks Doug, that is it...

We have had a lumber company out here which for many years was locally owned.

I am not completly certain of this but Do It Best has bought out the local owners or the lumber company is using Do It Best as one of their suppliers.

Kent
  • Grandpas Grub
    I just read your response above.

Next time I use that lump I will pay more attention to the higher temp cooks.

GG
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    I got Royal Oak in the 20# bags for years from a local hardware store.....I think what actually happened was that Do-It-Best dropped Royal Oak and picked up another brand. They failed to change the picture (and possibly the item number) on their website, so folks ordered one thing and another thing arrived at the store for pickup.

In the two or three posts I recall reading about the mixup, they either got a full refund or a big discount on the other brand (like 1/2 price).
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Grandpas Grub
    The only lump I can get in 20# is BGE.

The other RO is 8# & I think the Do-It-Best is 5#. The price was only $5.50 or so. I think, the Kroger 8# was $5.50 or $6.50

I haven't tried the lump yet. I am a bit surprised it is still called RO on the site.

I was glad to get it and the price seemed fair so I didn't say anything.

GG
  • Note the date on the "OLD" article -
    December 2, 2005
  • ewillie
    ewillie Posts: 155
    I got two 20# bags of Big Green Egg lump tonight at my dealer for $41 including tax, didn't think that was too bad.

I'm enough of a newbie that I don't know if I want to introduce any new variables at this point, and the dealer is near my office.

Cheers, Erik
  • Ala-Egg
    Ala-Egg Posts: 162
    Hope not, that is all I use.
  • jbh
    jbh Posts: 23
    Just finished my first bag of Winn Dixie Natural Premium 100% Hardwood Lump Charcoal...I swear the stuff is RO. Looks like it, acts like it etc.